Ozark Fall Rendezvous - Current River

Thanks for the overviews. I was on the Current with this group some 12+ years ago, just saw the numbers & thought they looked potentially bony. I’ll go forward I with my reservations tomorrow.
Pam, you’ve put on a lot of miles this year. I’d be interested in some stories that always accompany River miles.
Pete, how did the Jacks Fork look when you were there?

I last paddled a stretch of the Jacks Fork from Alley Spring to Eminence in early August. That time of year there is generally too little water to paddle much above Alley Spring but Alley contributes enough water to make the Jacks doable below the spring. The put-ins there are all at least a few hundred yards upstream of the junction of the spring branch with the river itself and that short stretch can be pretty bony but I did not have any need to get out of the boat.

From 2 1/2 miles upstream and downstream of Eminence the Jacks Fork is outside the domain and the regulations of the ONSR and there are a number of private campgrounds with “beaches” on the waterfront that are invariably busy during the Summer and this Summer was no exception. Lots of activity at Buttin Rock, as usual. Otherwise it was fine.

I’m new but this seems like a good place to meet fellow enthusiastic paddlers. I booked site 24 from Mon through Wed, as I will have to head back Thursday for a weekend trip on the Missouri. I’m looking forward to meeting you all.

1 Like

There are some five people planning to arrive on Monday so there will be people to shuttle with for Tuesday and Wednesday. Have you been to the area before?

I have done some hiking, trail building and maintenance on the Ozark Trail nearby, but haven’t paddled on the Current or Jack’s Fork. I’d really like to check out Devil’s Well while I’m there.

images (1)
images
Devil’s Well may be a dissapointment to you.
The word well best describes what it looks like.
Paddling into cave spring, on the river, is fun if you’re never done that.

P.S. You would do well to check with Ozark Scenic Riverway staff prior to entering any cave on the Current, Jack’s Fork, or Eleven Point rivers. They may be off limits to the public due to bats having White Nose Syndrome.
Google that for more info.

BOB

Look forward to meeting you!

Just checked my guide book and the caves are indeed closed. :frowning: Oh well! At least I can check out the entrance to cave spring.

While NPS regulations currently prohibit entry into caves in the ONSR, you may paddle into Cave Spring. It goes back about 25 yards or so. Cave Spring is actually on property owned by the L.A.D. Foundation and is not subject to the regulations of the NPS and ONSR.

The Eleven Point River is not part of the ONSR and is not regulated by the NPS. It is managed by the Mark Twain branch of the US Forest Service.

Devil’s Well is easy to get to and doesn’t take much time to visit. It is situated 1 1/2 miles off of Route KK via a good road. Route KK is the road between Pulltite and Akers Ferry. From the parking lot to the Well itself is a short walk.

Greetings from Des Moines, IA. I was looking for a fun paddle on my way to a SIerra Club Service Trip in West Texas… I’d love to join your group on wed. and thurs 10/13-14. I’m a recently retired MS teacher, 13 years, add Impressario, Public Radio/TV producer and I’m ‘luckiest-guy-ever" for good-payin’ gigs. My paddling friends in central Iowa celebrated 50-years of M-Day trips. that’s amazing. I’ve only been on a few: Wapsipinicon, Turkey, Buffalo, Platte, Cedar etc. I’d be happy to share my cooking skills, pickled peppers and campfire uke/guitar entertainment. Campground reservations look open on those days. Traveling with a kayak. Got my Covid-shots.

Yes, by all means come. We have had a few regulars come from Iowa in past years. It has not been difficult to find open campsites at Pulltite this time of year, but the last two years have been unusually busy. The campground is easy to find. I assume you will be coming through Rolla and then Salem, Missouri. From Salem take Missouri Hwy 19 south just over 25 miles and turn right onto Route EE. The campground is at the end of the road.

Bobster56,
There is a group from the Houston Canoe club that put on an annual paddle into the lower reaches of the Trinity River and others. We would slide off onto some bayou into a shallow lake with a geocache on the far shore. There the trip leader would give a most enjoyable and informative talk about the habitat and history of the area. These talks made an enjoyable paddle positively memorable. I hope you find your trip as enjoyable as I did.
By the by… on one of those trips there was a Water Moccasin on a bayou laying stretched out on some Cyprus roots that was almost as long as my solo canoe and as big around as my fore-leg. Impressive.
See you at Pulltite if I get there early enough.

Dave Tobey, former NPS park ranger, former district interpreter for the ONSR and former interpreter at the Current River State Park, will be campground host the week we are there. Perhaps we can lure him over to “high tea” and have him regale us with stories about the area and his experiences.

Bottom line: It doesn’t matter who manages or owns what.

The issue is the possible death of an unknown number of bats; who if alive kill multi millions of insects that are pests to humans.
Don’t disturb the bats, and then moan about how bad the mosquitos, gnats and flys are…

There are numerous sources of information about bats with white nose syndrome on utube. Take a few minutes to educate yourself about how disturbing them is not beneficial to them, bat colonies, or us.

BOB

1 Like

Hi there, great paddling with everyone this week. I created a small google album of photos of the group. I believe collaboration is enabled where you can add your own, but send me an edit request if not.

2 Likes

Thank you meredith. Your photos are better than mine this time.

1 Like
2 Likes

Should be mentioned… we had a new paddler along this time, Pavel0, and his was the first folding pacboat we’ve had in our group. It handled beautifully in his hands.

3 Likes