P&H Sirius

yep
like the foster boats the sirius feels like it wants to be on one side or the other when paddling slowly on flat water or siting still. it comes alive in rough water, where it’s stability profile is more reassuring. for someone just getting into kayaking it wouldn’t be my first choice nor would i use it if i, for example, wanted to go birding or to explore slow moving streams etc.

Quote is from P&H’s description

?
“for it’s beam” appears to imply more stability than expected for a 20.5" hull, more acceleration than expected for a 20.5" hull.

“remarkably stable”? By any objective measure it is not remarkably stable

http://www.phseakayaks.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm?ID=3

“Fast, of excellent stability for its beam and able to perform well in a variety of sea and weather conditions, the Sirius is a fine example of classic design in harmony with modern materials, technology and quality. This kayak is extremely quick for its beam yet remarkably stable.”

more stable loaded,
which was part of its intended purpose/function. Unladen, I watched a Sirius eject a newbee for no apparent reason on flat water. It’s definitely a different boat when it’s packed, moving, in textured water, or all of the above. I think the contrast on the Sirius is greater than most boats, and needs to be a big consideration (whether or not it will usually be loaded) when thinking about buying one.

seat height
I wonder if the Sirius is one of those boats that went through a change of seat height in it’s years of production.

it is not fast
P&H and Sirius owners regularly assert it is a fast kayak.

As Jay noted it is not. At 20.5" beam the Silhouette is much faster, heck an Aquanaut is faster at 21.5" width.

my impression as well
that hull shape with long pinched ends is not what you do to make a kayak fast, likewise the “remarkable stability” ,it’s not stable,period.

Thanks for all the input . . .
. . . didn’t sound like a good first kayak for a noob.

Sirius
My first kayak was a Sirius hf (the high volume version). before buying it, I had taken a 3 hour introductory course. 5 years before. I don’t think there is much difference in width between the 3 versions. I’m 200 lb and I did get dumped once or twice learning, but after the first year i took pictures from it no problem. It is not as fast as advertised, but very easy to paddle at less than top speed, and not hard to roll. With a side wind, your buddies get blown off to the side, you’re still on course. Mine had the recess for the spare paddle, the other option was a day hatch, the lack of which was the reason for selling it. Very well made boat, and a great learning platform if you take lessons and get comfortable with increasingly rougher water as you learn. I really enjoyed mine, and do not regret buying it.

7 Years of Sirius S ownership
Coming from a racing background I found the Sirius stability at rest is tender compared to several other sea kayaks. Similar to riding a bike a very slow speed. Once under way stability is fine. Where this boat comes to shine is when the conditions turn to snot. I don’t think its a great choice of boat for a newbie unless your willing to go thru a learning curve.

a keel
I think that’s why it appeals to folks familiar with paddling in stinky stuff, it’s anchored well in the water. The Express I had was nearly opposite, fairly neutral to weathercocking and I had to point higher into the wind and power through the wind but I could turn on a dime anywhere on the wave. With the Sirius you won’t immediately blow downwind when you ease up on effort.