Packing sea kayaks

my brutal analysis

– Last Updated: Jun-29-11 3:39 PM EST –

Get rid of:

spare PFD.
frying pan unless it fits in your solo cookset.
water bottles unless you're paddling salt water.
Said cooler.

One thing that was challenging for me was the sleeping bag, especially the 20 degree bag, which I only use in late fall. So I got a lighter, cooler bag and supplemented it with a camp sheet. I use a tapered, narrow stuff sack and it's easier to manage.

Look at storing stuff in front of the footpegs.

I think you're pretty close. You may want to re-evaluate clothing.

Oh - one more thing: trade the sweets for beer or some good bourbon!

stuff
Whether I’m out for a couple of days or a week, the boat always seems full… The only real difference for me is the amount of food since I’m paddling on fresh water.

Small stuff and long skinny stuff packs a lot easier in a kayak. Take the tent out of the storage bag and store the pieces individually where they’ll fit - the ends of the boat work very well for things like this, as well as the Thermarest. Parts of the tent can be rolled longer and skinnier so they’re easier to get in and out of the ends of the boat.

This is very true
I think of the space in my kayak in terms of how many full backpacks it can contain. Even though my kayak is marketed only for weekend trips and has rather low ends, I can fit gear for 5 to 7 days—about 3 full-size backpacks.

My backpacking gear is considered lightweight but not ultralight. Lightweight for a backpacker means:

A tent 5 lbs or less (Example: REI Camp Dome)

A sleeping bag around 2 lbs (LL Bean semi-rectangular down 35)

An inflatable mattress 2 lbs or less (Exped Synmat 7)

I can fit those “Big 3” in the hatch directly behind the seat, plus a comfortable folding seat in that same space. They only take up 1/3 of the rear hatch. That leaves a lot of room for everything else!

Some space savers:

Collapsible pail (Seattle Sports)

Sea to Summit Pocket Shower

LL Bean small windup lantern (cheaper than backpacking lanterns)

A water filter instead of carrying water

Things that can do double duty:

Kayak shorts–bathing suit–pajamas

Collapsible pail: wash dishes, bathing, transport water

Small Thermos: coffee mug, bowl, plate.

Downsizing your gear can cost money, so research each item carefully and choose wisely what you spend your money on.

Kayak camping is luxurious compared to backpacking.

Suggestions on your list
Sneakers and Tevas: rubber Crocs should serve all your summer footwear needs, unless you’ll be walking on rocks or hiking. If you need something more rugged than Crocs, take the Tevas but not the sneakers, and don’t planning on drying out the Tevas. If you go in the water they will stay wet for the whole trip.

You might not need ANY sleeping bag for summer in NC. Consider lighter options, like a light fleece throw.

Pot holder: use a bandana handkerchief

First aid kit doesn’t need to be in a 4L bag, unless you will be doing heart surgery.

Water is definitely your space-hogging culprit. You’ve got 2 gallons there.

Eliminate: long johns, rain pants, extra swim suit, expedition top. You will need a t-shirt and a light rain jacket. Check the weather report and pack accordingly.

Pruning saw: not necessary. Burn wood that you can break over your knee. I sometimes do bring a saw though—a very small foldable one.

I don’t have a problem with your cooler if it will keep your food cold for a couple of days. It should fit nicely at the front of the cockpit.

Research hard-boiled eggs to learn how long they last. Controversial, but don’t take chances.

I think you did forget quite a few things. Your list isn’t long enough to present any packing problems, except for the water.

Suggestions Point by Point
====Sleep System ====

—Hennesy Hammock -> Pack in front compartment, floor, by bulkhead.

—3/4 thermorest (will try to do without)-> Depends on the thickness. If it’s an 1-inch or less, then keep it otherwise upgrade. Pack in front compartment stuffed into the bow.

—Kelty Noah Tarp --> Lose the tarp or change to something substantially smaller for solo trips. I love Noah Tarps, but do you really need it? The biggest problem is that they are bulky. Try a 8x10 sinylon tarp. Pack on top of hammock

—50 degree Kelty sleeping bag or 18 degree Marmot -> pack in front compartment stuffed forward of hatch behind thermarest

====Kitchen====

—1.2 liter MSR Pot: inside ->Pack on top of hammock

-----Pocket Rocket

-----Gas canister

-----Matches/lighter/

*****Add a spoon or spork

-----glove as potholder/small towel --> why both?

====Consumables====

—Food(vegetarian) --> Pack in multiple bags in the rear hatch up against the bulkhead.

Mac and cheese/ string cheese oranges and the cooler with phoney meats etc —> Skip meats, pack hard cheese like sharp cedar and skip the cooler. Cheese keeps fine for under 5 days without a cooler. Switch meat to dehydrated stuff like hummus

instant oatmeal/hard boiled eggs —> Poptarts?

Peanut butter in small jar/jam

Bread or pita

oil some spices

—4 1 liter bottles and 1 1gallon bag of water —> 1 litter bottles are heavy. Change out to hydration pack on your pfd (2 liter) and 2 liter platypus bottles) - On fresh water carry a filter and just 2 or 3 liters at a time. —> Pack gallon bag in cockpit in front of feet. Create an anchor system. The rest behind the seat or day hatch.

Do you really need this

Frying kPan

Utensils in Roll up

Spatula/cutlery etc

====Bathroom====

—TP and small shovel —> What do you mean by small? Day Hatch

====Den====

First aid in 4 liter dry bag —> Do you have a WFA, WAFA or WFR? If not, there’s probably stuff in there that you don’t know how to use. Day hatch

Pruning saw with extra fire starter —> Really? If you can’t break it by hand, you shouldn’t be burning it. Leave at home.

====Closet====

---->Pack in rear hatch closer to stern than food

Clothes in a 12 liter vented bag —> larger bag than I take, especially for the listed items.

Expedition top and bottom long johns

Rain Pants

rain top

swim suit --> and shorts that you’re paddling in?

sneakers and Tevas --> just pick one

====Paddling Gear====

Spare paddle/PFD/pump/sponge/skirt —> spare pfd? Seriously? If you don’t, you should always wear your pfd.

For dry bags never use anything much bigger than 10 liters. I suspect that your main problem is caused by the food choices, spare clothing and cooler, because the rest just isn’t that bulky nor heavy. With that boat and that gear, you should be able to pack 15+ days of food and the rest of the stuff in it.

Pictures
Do you have a picture of all your gear next to the boat?

I was thinking the same thing
You know the old saying…