paddle advice needed

Bracsa
Also spelled Braca, they’re a Central European company that is known for racing (wing) paddles. They also make sea-kayak and canoe paddles. I don’t suggest you spend much time pursuing this lead; they offer only 5 cm of length adjustment, as far as I know.

– Mark

The downsides of wings

– Last Updated: Sep-14-07 8:39 AM EST –

Since Jack detailed the benefits nicely, I'll cover the flip side.

1- Cost - I haven't seen any reasonably priced wing paddles (but perhaps they do exist).

2- They're harder on your muscles and joints. That may not be a problem if you're young and/or quite fit, but it may be an issue for a lot of paddlers.

3- They suck for rolling and bracing. Yes, it can be done, but it's easier with other paddle types. This can be doubly problematic, since many wing paddles can't be used with paddle floats (per the manufacturer's warning) if your brace and roll fail you.

4- You're restricted to one technique. You can't vary the stroke the way you can with other paddles. That can be really tiring, since you can't vary the muscle groups you use.

If all of this is worth it to you for a 5-6% gain in speed - that's the difference between a wing and a Euro or GP - go for it. For racing, it makes sense. For touring, as Borat would put it: "Not so much."

no-fly zone
You guys really made it clear, thanks! No, I don’t need to race, I just need to make it back to shore. And I do need to brace.

As for GP, I will definitely try one at some point, seems like there is a large following and if it makes rolling easier I’ll probably be a fan (once I learn to roll that is)! But for my first paddle, I’m going to stick with what I know, the Euro. Simply 'cause the sales are going on now, I am not going to have a chance to test any GPs before they’re up, and I need the adjustable lenght for now.

All your info has been very helpful, thanks everyone!

thanks yanoer
The paddle you mention is the paddle that Epic’s paddle wizzard suggested for me. I’m going to see if I can find a deal on it somewhere.

just ordered
an Epic relaxed tour hybrid 215-225 (and a Kokatat MsFit Tour). Thanks everyone for the advice, now I can’t wait to try it!

That’s great.
I hope that you like yours as well as I like mine.

Weights
Not really. I have a Werner Shuna (glass) and its foam-cored carbon counterpart, the Cypress, both in 205cm. The latter is most definitely and noticeably lighter, for an extra $65 or $70. Neither has adjustable length, though they have adjustable feathering.

Did you get your new paddle yet?
If yes, how is it working out for you?

Thanks Bryan,
I never realized the flip side of the wing and every single point you made is absolutely true.

About a year or so ago I mentioned to my wife that we hadn’t practiced self rescues in quite a while and we should allocate some time for it.

I was surprised to find that my wing blade wouldn’t even fit in the Harmony paddle float.

Cheers,

JackL