paddle dribble

Sorry, I don’t know. I suspect it has
to do with the velocity and path of the blade through the air during recovery. It does seem likely that long, “lazy” high angle strokes will aggravate the problem.

Get a canoe
Use a single blade paddle and learn the canoe strokes. You can even get in and out of your boat easier which is not unimportant as all of us baby boomers get gray.

Half the paddle - twice the paddler. :slight_smile:

J Curtis

Inuit solution
The Polar World exhibit at the Carnegie Museum in Pittsburgh has a collection of original Inuit kayaks and gear, displayed exactly as collected in the field. Every one of the native paddles has cotton rags wrapped and tied around the shafts on each side between the loom and blade. I’ve yet to try that out but I imagine it would at least slow the flow.

As one of the previous respondents said: try a Greenland paddle. Once you’ve experienced the steady stream into your lap from one of those you’ll barely notice the tiny drips when you go back to your standard paddle :slight_smile:

drips

– Last Updated: Oct-05-10 2:43 PM EST –

That interesting about the string/rags on the paddle blades.
Looking at old paddle designs I saw that some had the rings carved right into the blades.
sometimes a double set of rings.
I tried making a notch into the loom which didn't quite work.
next thing I've tried is wrapping some thicker cord around the notches,which seems to be working out pretty good. Glad to see there is some history of peoples doing similar things. Less chance folks will point and laugh at me (I hope).

For the original poster... lots of reasons you might get extra water in your lap etc. Some of it is the angle of the blade when you paddle, the size of the cockpit opening, if your paddle crosses over the cockpit of your boat as you go, type of spray skirt. Things like that.

No need to go out and buy a canoe they're just havin fun with you.
there are a couple of replies for "half the paddle = twice the paddler" (but they usually show up in other threads)

since both craft are ancient the point is really moot as to which type is better.. mostly just a lot of chest thumpin.

Have fun...happy paddling!