Paddle float entry breaks paddle

I was “teaching” one day

– Last Updated: Jul-02-04 7:04 AM EST –

and a paddler just could not get up on the high back deck of her boat. She was large up top, the deck was high and her strength to weight ratio and focus were not optimal. (I could say the same thing about my own strength to weight ratio)

She really did not want to do a scoop, she wanted to get in as much as possible like everybody else. Luckily, the water was warm. I felt really bad not to have a sling, so I later learned how to make one fast out of my contact tow. If I dislocate a shoulder while solo the skill might save my life. Just another ring of defense, certainly best to avoid.

(Due to her hard work and help fron last summer's thursday lake Cochituate crew she got it, but only when she focuses and kicks really hard. hooray!)

I agree with Seakayaking: things happen. Especially to carbon fiber. No reason not to be as easy on the gear as reasonable. Carry a spare unless you want to paddle out with your hands.

Yeah…
Hard to pinpoint but “individual” variables do kick in. For the life of me, I can’t do cowboy reentries. I accomplished a total of one, I think. It’s too hard for me. I don’t even practice it anymore. It’s not part of my rescue repetoire.

sing

The Boat

– Last Updated: Jul-02-04 5:43 AM EST –

Last year I tried the paddle float / cowboy thing in a Tempest. I couldn't do it. Over the winter I took roll classes in fat whitewater boats. I could cowboy in those with no paddle involved at all. Looks like the boat matters a lot.

From you I can barely believe this
Have to try one in the explorer one day. You do tend to paddle very narrow boats.

then again, since my roll occasionally fails I have to practice this kind of stuff more ofteh than you! I cannot do one so well that I would rely on it, might do it on a lake for fun.

Have a great weekend!