Paddle float preference

Big fan of double chamber inflateable
Versatile, storeable in cockpit, if it takes you more than 15 seconds extra you are in bad shape or have little breath control. The gaia float is even faster (you do not have to fully inflate an inflateable to use it).

First choice if money is no object would be the Gaia float. I own a north water foam and a seattle sports double chambered. no maintantnce issues but I do test at least twice yearly.

The biggest reason I prefer inflateables is that I am most likely to use one these days to assist another paddler who needs it, or to get myself in the boat if I am injured. In those situations I’d really like maximum floatation.

The good things about foam floats are the somewhat faster speed, and the fact that they enforce better technique. In a learning situation that’s nice. in a truly extreme situation I’d like a huge margin for error.

i keep a p-float behind the band as well
but instead of attaching it to anything i keep it half inflated…it holds in place better and also if i need to use it for someone it is already 1/2 filled…

it is in the boat all the time but hardly used except for teaching…

floats
FOAM! won’t puncture

FOAM, not as buoyant, but learn how to use it

FOAM, easily stowed on back deck where they’ve been stowed for decades

FOAM.

For you, yes

– Last Updated: Jun-08-06 11:50 AM EST –

In AK or MN - as a guide responsible for others - I'd probably carry foam like you too.

I had one down here in S Florida. A very nice Northwater. I bought it after reading logical arguments like yours about speed to deploy, punctures, etc. It was a big pain. Bulky, and offered limited flotation. I ended up selling it to someone in AK!

I have only actually used a float to recover from a capsize on a paddle once in 4 years - when I was new to sea kayaks, still getting my balance, and had no other recovery skills. Now it is a back-up device quite a few options down the recovery list. So for me an inflatable is much more logical choice (and it has many other uses).

Some other things people need to factor in: That foam float should be secured very well - more than simply slipping it under the bungees. It's of no use if it washes/blows away. Rear decks see wind and wave that my inflatable is not subject to in the cockpit. A foam float has to be stowed securely enough to not come loose and create other problems. At the very least also clipped on somehow so it can't get away. That precaution can mean more time to get it out and ready for use after a capsize.

It must also be located so you can have control of your kayak and paddle and still have hand(s) free to get it and attach it. Can you reach and unclip it with a leg in the cockpit, or do everything with one hand while the other hold a deck line or coaming?

You also have to re-stow it after recovery. How many people can really re-secure the foam float to the rear deck from the cockpit in conditions that just capsized them? This post recovery stowing problem happens with either type, but being able to deflate to a much smaller size can give you some other stowing options.

If stowing is not an option for either, the usual recommendation is a short tether, and dragging it along. This has the advantage of it being somewhat ready for the next capsize - but loose gear attached with lines and clips means more to potentially go wrong...

Mini mae/may west pfd with modified
straps fits behind the seat. Can always put it on or hand it off. Non kapok era.