Paddle float rescue

PS - Rolling and sharks
Rolling would scare the crap out of most sharks, and only leaves you in the water with them for a few seconds.

Paddle float rescue has you in the water a long time, inflating float, affixing to paddle, paddle to boat, all the while with legs dangling…

Motivated yet?

Deflation tip

– Last Updated: Nov-10-04 2:53 PM EST –

Greyak; this tip might not be good for you but some others could like it.

Keep the float on your paddle after reentry. Leave the paddle under doubled stout bungies or put it across your lap lean in it with your forearms as you pump out. Skirt up when dry

Then open the valves and stick the paddle float end in the water let the air just flow out from the water pressure.

This way you have good support during the pumping out, and support as the float is emptied. Be careful lifting the paddle out of the water the float will have some weight to it.

Hope this helps somebody

Advanced technigue which works great with paddle float rescue:

If you have a slanted bulkhead, or a bulkhead which is close to the rear of your seat (are you reading this at QCC?) you can keep hold of your boat, swim to the front of your inverted boat, put one hand on your paddle blade and kick and push down on the blade and push up on your bow. Timing, power, and coordination are crucial. The paddle blade gives you additional purchase on the water to help you get the platform to lift the boat. With practice you can come very close to emptying your boat, then if you can do a paddle float rescue you will have minimal pumping.

Practice this; it is not easy. With a loaded boat it may be very difficult. If you know you will be doing a paddle float rescue (instead of a cowboy) perhaps you could inflate the float and use it on the paddle for lift. You will be doing that anyway.

This technique from DJ Lewis (Thanks) but I have practiced it on ponds and it's worked there. (But anything works on a pond). ;-) Some time I'll annoy my friends and practice it on mildly textured water. If it is breaking I will be rolling, or reenter and rolling (with paddle float if needed).

Good tips
Problem in not lack of ideas though - it’s specific to the float.

Mine (NRS) has two chambers (as do many) but each has a different type valve. On you have to push the end in to deflate but need to do nothing but blow to inflate. The other has the twist open valve you have to open and close. The first is the one that’s a bear to deflate.

No big deal as I rarely use it. GP offers enough buoyancy to get me back in on it’s own. If I ever do have to use it I’ll try to just use one side (the side easy to deflate by your methods) - but then I doubt it will stay on the paddle. More to play with on a future paddle.

agreed about rolls
scaring a turd out of a shark, but a failed roll would leave a bite sized major apendage (my head) dangling at his nose. Oh well, I have to do this sooner or later. But for now, the water is cool. Maybe next season.