Paddle Float Rescue

Wearing P.F. on head for this reply : )
http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=chat&tid=1344470

agree
Beginner kayakers ‘hopefully’ will start in calmer waters and even in those situations could capsize. The paddle float rescue is one of the easiest to teach for beginners. I think it is a basic skill.

It is somewhat ironic that as we move up the ladder of competence in paddling, we master the more complex levels of rescue and hardly ever need these rescue skills.

It takes one bad day, though, when all the rescue skills practices pay off…

Order of Rescue
-should be:

1 Roll

2 Assisted Rescue (If you’re with a group,this is almost always faster than any solo rescue other than a roll - especially when pumping is a factor. Why would you messn with anything that takes longer? Pride? You’ll hold up the group leaving them exposed to potentially messy stuff.)

3. Reenter and Roll May be better than 2 in breaking waves.)

4 Scramble

5 Paddle Float

Reality
I think the BCU has an idealized view that kayaking should not be a solo sport. However it’s not reality. I’ve seen new paddlers by themselves capsize because of a boat wake on flat waters. I’ve also seen new paddlers pull out a paddle float and re-enter very easily.

I’d move scramble/cowboy up
If conditions allow a scramble I will prefer over reenter and roll just because I can do better at removing most water before flipping it upright. But if too tired or rough waters I’ll go straight to reenter and roll. But wholeheartedly agree assisted is fast and dry when possible.

BCU and ACA
Jay, NO organization for any outdoor activity be it climbing, hiking, kayaking recommends going out alone. That said, I’ll confine my point to kayaking.

What we teach, as instructors, for either ACA or BCU, is that there should be no less than three. That said, we also acknowledge that people go out by themselves. The point is that when you go out by yourself you up the risk factor.

I would hardly say that the BCU has an “idealized” view of paddling or of the skill set that it requires when things go wrong. In fact, the BCU requires a 3* paddler (intermediate) have a roll in conditions. This is required as part of the assessment. After you have a reliable roll you begin to build a skill set that begins to leave beginner techniques behind.

I do think that the paddlefloat rescue is a beginner technique. It is slow, cumbersome and leaves a swimmer in the water for a long time and out of control. Can you do it in the rough stuff? Sure, with lots of practice; but why not use that time and energy to learn more reliable techniques for self rescue?

Have you ever tried a paddlefloat rescue in a tidal rapid? Whirlpools, eddylines and overfalls all love to latch onto that float and the boat that is heeled over onto an edge. What does work is a scramble or a reentry and roll.

Are you in control of your situation when you’re swimming and screwing around with a paddlefloat? No. For how long? Too long. A rock wall is rushing at you with giant barnacles, or a jetty with breakers, fill in the bad situation. The solution is to get back in your boat and get the situation back in YOUR control.

When I teach classes in dynamic conditions and tide races students quickly figure out that the way they learned assisted and self rescues in that intro class 10 years ago, or a few months ago, don’t work in the rough stuff. You have to be adaptable and have a well developed toolbox to handle those situations.

I’ll get off my soapbox now. I just think that the reliance on the paddlefloat of so many I meet is curious given that many paddlers the world over consider them a wonderful thing to sit on, or to use as a pillow, but not as a great means of rescue.

paddle float
While I think a paddle float rescue usually taught more of a beginner rescue technique, and is way down a long list of my own self rescues, I’ve always carried a paddle float and pump. Someone asked me why, and I said I just like it there just in case. And as someone pointed out, who knows maybe a hatch cover will fail and it will come in handy along with an extra cam strap?

I’ve trained with ACA/BCU L5 who teach different techniques with paddle float. I also encounter BCU instructors who aren’t that good at self rescues, while very quick to point how much better they are than ACA.

Why leave it behind?
Why would you leave it behind as a beginner technique? I had a solid roll and re-enter and roll long before I ever bought a paddle float. It seems pretty simple out there. I know I’m failing at re-enter and roll and scrambling on top and into my kayak within a few minutes. I’m simply not aware of a long list of possibilities for self rescue prior to assessing potential usefulness of a paddle float for assistance. “You have to be adaptable and have a well developed toolbox to handle those situations.” Why not have that possibility? Yes, you may have to let go of silly images of a person mindlessly blowing up a paddle float while being thrown by a breaking wave into a jetty, or having one blade secured under deck bungies and the float extended out at 90 degrees in large waves getting bucked off before entering. But I can certainly imagine two floats on a stick alongside my kayak in rough conditions, giving assistance for sitting up where I had otherwise failed, and helping me to remain that way while I prepared to continue or just waited for outside help.

What are all these tools of self rescue? What is the wisdom, the advancement, in abandoning paddle floats as a potential form of self assistance?

Metaphorically speaking
I didn’t mean “now that you can do all this trick stuff you can pitch the paddle float in the rubbish bin” I meant as a practical self rescue skill, it is left behind. That said, do you bring the entire toolbox along when you have to change a flat tire? Probably not.

long list

– Last Updated: Nov-03-10 11:00 AM EST –

The more rescue tools you have the more likely you will self rescue. Some people happen to be very good at rescues in general. They don't ever need to exit their kayak in any conditions. They can roll, brace, static brace so well on both sides that they aren't wet exiting. And if they ever do wet exit, they will reenter and roll like nothing flat and have several ways to empty the water. I try and paddle well within my limits so I've never had to scratch the surface of rescues. I carry a paddle float but it would be at the end of my list. I could also see two of them used with a spare paddle to add stability for someone who dislocated a shoulder. I routinely have to tow people back who get tired. So far no one has needed a paddle float but could be handy as hatch covers fail all the time on plastic boats, etc, and I've had someone use mine for a back brace with a bad back.

Also, if someone can re enter and roll with a paddle float more effectively than not then by all means they should start there as it's their most reliable rescue. I would consider this a reliable form of self rescue, more so than the scramble. In fact a lot of what has been said here in other post by other people isn't what L5 instructors teach for self rescue in rougher conditions.

Not abandon, but not a crutch either
To manny people strap a paddle float to their deck and think they’re safe. I don’t care what rescue techniques you use. Until you’ve practiced them in the conditions you’ll need them in, you can’t count on them.

I find a paddle float to be near the end of my list of rescues, but I still use it as a teaching aid.

Here in SW Florida, there are many
kayakers who have never taken lessons, though they have been on the water for years. Often they are in their 50’s,60’s or 70’s and (usually) don’t have the strength they did way back when. They learn faster though and remember what they learn.

Many intend to stay in flat water, and moderate conditions, but have come to realize a class is needed. In their first several hours of paddling, we cover the basic strokes (forward, sweeps, draw strokes, braces) and then get them thru a wet exit, draining and righting their kayak, a cowbow re-entry, a ladder, paddle float, or paddle float with rescue sling re-entry. Many can’t do ALL the re-entries, but know they have several tools and are able to re-enter in moderate conditions. Then we go thru a T-rescue so they aren’t backed off on assisting another. They know they have to PRACTICE these, but it quickly gets their skills and confidence up and they use the techniques. Rolls and re-entry and roll come later here. Within 3-4 hours from first getting into a kayak they are up to a self rescue and successful T-rescues. These aren’t rocket science.

I agree however
What is a novice paddler supposed to do if they are out alone, 300 yards off shore and a boat wake knocks them over or they just screw up and go to paddle with the blade in the slicing position. Start blowing their whistle? or get out their VHF if they have one? If they know the PF reentry, there’s an excellent chance they can get back in their boat. At least they have something. Something is better than nothing. I always tell paddlers that the PF reentry is one of the toughest re-entries to learn and perform in waves. When you actually think about it, how many self rescues are there? Not many. Reentry and roll. Climb on your boat cowboy style W or without a paddle as an outrigger. What else. Shouldn’t paddlers know them all? Shouldn’t brand new paddlers learn a self rescue method from the start? I actually think learning these things reinforces the importance of paddling with others.

I completely agree.
If our guys go over the side, (your 300 yds offshore as an example) THAT’s the situation they took the class for. It might take using a paddle float and sling, but 1) they have a PFD on,2) have the safety gear they need, and 3)know they have successfully practised the moves and CAN get in.

We have the advantage of warm water here (81 F today) but fundamentals always apply. The more advanced stuff, comes later. No doubt many would prefer to always have a solid brace or roll, and never miss, but the basics should be learned. The basic techniques don’t undermine the advanced techniques, they are just a foundation for them.

same here
in South Carolina. Lots of flat water groups for over 20 years that only do flat water and are rated 1-3 with no incidents. Something like 90% of ACA class run are L1 or L2. That’s most of our participants who take intro to kayaking and we cover all the rescues and wet exits. We also have a rescues class and most people walk away knowing they should paddle with a group as the assisted rescue is the most effective.

I like open water also but flat water around here is where it’s at for most people which includes all kinds of boats.

the BCU has no koolaid
…it’s all tea and warm beer.

Dragging back out the soapbox
Jay, I’m not saying it’s not a valid technique. It isn’t a panacea either. I think everyone that goes out on the water should have the techniques to reenter. I also think that people should seek out some formal instruction, but many don’t for a whole variety of reasons.

Many people spend their whole paddling careers on flat water and never capsize. I’ve also had many people try to sign up for rescues in dynamic conditions classes, but they haven’t mastered the fundamental techniques.

A few years ago I suggested that the sea kayaking community start treating the roll as a more fundamental skill and I caught a lot of flack, but I still haven’t backed down from my stance on that. I’ve pushed that position hard where I live and I’ve found that “experienced paddlers” who swear by the paddle float have a hard time learning the roll and aren’t comfortable capsizing; conversely, newer paddlers who tackle this skill sooner develop a greater comfort being upside down in the water. Also, after developing their roll their bracing and boat control skills increase quickly.

The paddle float is a beginner rescue. While functional, it should be viewed as such.

This was a post about using 2 floats
not a request to rehash the merits of a PF Rescue. I still am of the opinion that two floats bring little additional safety to the party, and are likely a liability in truly rough water. As for the wisdome of the PF rescue, practice with it in the conditions you need it in before you count on it.

ok.
How much extra space does it take up? Almost none. Just put two inflatable floats under the bungees and go for it.

terrible analogy
Most people don’t get into the car knowing they’ll have to change a tire. In fact in ten years I’ve never had to.

But do you think I leave the jack behind because of that? No.

I never get those who freak over one extra piece of equipment. A paddle float doesn’t need to take up a whole lot of room.