Paddle float - worth it?

summary
After glancing over all of these posts, I don’t see any reason not to carry one. They’re cheap, take up almost no space, require no maintenance and can be used for other things - even pillows.

They should be checked over once in awhile to make sure they don’t leak, but practicing with it will do just that. Get one (two chambered, almost like having a backup) and learn how to use it - might make a big difference some day.

no question that a roll is easier
and safer as it minimizes time in the water. One of the reasons I started playing with the float was to simulate a scenario where I lost my paddles and wanted to get back in the boat…so I did a re-enter and roll with the paddlefloat alone.

just another option…lots of them out there. the point is that a paddle float does so many different thigs that it absolutely has to be the product with the most bang for the buck on the boat…that is why I made the comment that it was stupid to not have one. Or two

paul

the best use I have found for an avataq
is to blow it up completely and tie it directly behind you on the deck, put your two paddles perpendicular to the boat (one in front and one in back) and lean back. Better than a Barcolounger!

Otherwise, I guess they are good for what they were designed for…heheh

Paul

I believe it’s law in Canada…
…that you have to have a paddle float with you among other things…you also required to have an aproved PFD, a whistle, a bildge pump and a throw bag.

Paddlefloat not required
in Canada. Just paddle,PFD,whistle,pump and throwbag.

I usually keep one under the bungies right in front of the cockpit to keep the GP’s from scratching the deck too much when stowed under the bungies. It could come in handy in some situations but is limited value in rough water rescues. I’d be more inclined to use it on my hand to roll back up than on the paddle.

Bert

Well
Most people who even ask about a paddle float don’t exactly have a hand roll yet… but it’s a use I’ve thought about for when I get to the hand roll starting later this year.

Actually
rolling with a paddlefloat on your hand is surprizingly easy and that trick has the advantage of not having to remove the float from the paddle,thus simplifying things.

Try it just for fun,next time you’re out.

Bert

NOT a law in Canada Camvan.
carrying a paddlefloat is not law here. check your facts before posting.

Blow up or foam paddlefloat
I have just started trying wet exits/rentries - well at least wet exits are easy! The blow up paddlefloat still isn’t helping me very much - My question is: I was wondering if the foam paddlefloat ie northwater kind offers any extra bouancy to help me get up there.

(planning on attending a group practicing this, this weekend)

Marilyn

My understanding
is that foam paddle floats provide LESS boyancy. The advantage of foam is that it’s ready to go when you need it, without having to inflate it.

If you’re still having trouble, you might consider a sling. North Water makes a few designs.

I’ve done it
I agree, it’s a nice move. Paddle float on hand was one of the ways I first eased into the balance brace too. Better on my right than on my left, left being the the more recent roll that I tend to self-destruct in practice more easily tho’ it’s worked fine twice in a real capsize. In fact I am within near reach of a hand roll on the right when I decide to focus on it - likely into this winter.

But that’s my point - I know what kind of hip snap and flexibility I have when I get my angst out of the way, and how long it took to get that, and it’s not a response that a newer roller who has always relied on a paddle is likely to have in real conditions. Most will be pretty distracted by all that is going on and need the paddle for familiarity’s sake, even those like my husband who was able to apply a roll in real conditions much, much sooner after getting his than I was able to.

I’m convinced…
I will get a paddle float for all the reasons listed but not as a replacement for learning proper safety techniques but as just another tool of the long list of skills.

How do you…
How do you inflate a paddlefloat if you’re upside down? Seriously, I’m missing that part of the story. You’d obviously have to wet exit, inflate it and then do you re-enter and roll with it? In the grand scheme of things attaching it to the paddle blade wouldn’t take hardly any longer. Not a bad practicing aid though, I guess.

Yup

– Last Updated: Aug-21-06 6:48 AM EST –

You exit, inflate it and attach it to the paddle then do a wet re-enter and roll-up. At that point with an inflatable you are probably going to take the same amount of time that an over the top paddle float rescue would take on flat water if practiced. But on bumpy stuff, the wet re-enter and rollup with the paddle float on the end would be a surer bet assuming you had started towards a roll.

The wet re-enter and rollup, which is where my alternative was for a very long time since I've struggled with staying calm in conditions while upside down, was a primary reason that I carried my big red foam float for so long. While my ability to do a combat roll was compromised by my own head issues, the likelihood of my getting up with an assisted wet re-enter and roll was quite good. So I didn't want to add time to blow up and then have to deflate and stow an inflatable. I could just clip the foam one on and off real quick if needed.

Foam has less buoyancy than air
I have one, and during recent instruction I was able to submerge it during a self-rescue. Inflatables are definitely more buoyant for equal size, and larger size = more buoyant.