paddle floats

Flares
Sing,

I hear what you are saying and have heard the criticisms of people towards “Instructors” that suggest a a right way and a wrong way. My point was that someone that spends the majority of their time teaching kayaking, regardless of their affilation, is exposed to many more learning/teaching scenarios than someone that only does it occasionally. I have enjoyed all the training I have undertaken both as a student and instructor, but I must say some was more valuable than others. Getting certified does not endow a person with teaching ability it merely suggests that the person has satified the minimum standards of the certifying organization. I consider the certification as the beginning, not the culmination of a teaching career. Those of us that try to make a living as kayak instructors certainly do have a vested interest, but consider that interest as primarily to make our classes and programs valuable enough to the attendees that they recommend them to others. If we don’t do a good job we are out of business. As far as clubs are concerned I believe that club training programs are invaluable to the paddlesports community, and as such I belong to several where I donate my time frequently. I think kayak instruction is like any other trade i.e. home builders, in that there are good ones and bad ones. The good ones are rarely dogmatic and usually open to new ideas.

For me its all about the paddling.

Falcon

I Hear You and Agree…
This is the statement that flared me up:

“As for getting instruction or not… I can always tell the “do-it-yourselfers” from the people who were humble enough to admit they could use some help early. There is a big difference between thrifty and cheap, but to learn that lesson, it is often necessary to pay the instructor.”

I am not a kayak instructor nor ever even claim to be kayak “expert.” But, I have been engaged in physical disciplines since as a young teen. I know little bit about training and coaching. When I see statements like the one above, it makes me think the person is full of himself. The absurdity of that statement is clear to most who work with folks on physical training.

sing

I saw one that was different…

– Last Updated: Jul-07-05 3:52 PM EST –

perhaps someone here has seen the paddle float I saw during web searches for innovative kayak gear....

typical paddle float, except it had a fabric bag attached to one side opposite the paddle sleeve.
PURPOSE: To fill with water as the float was used to reenter the kayak, and to prevent the kayak from rolling again by providing additional weight to the float end of the paddle(Counterbalance).....

Anyone seen this float and have an opinion?

http://www.northwater.com/html/safety_rescue.html

I thought about it and it seemed to make sense, the water added no extra weight until the float began to leave the water, then the bag full of water on the underside pulled down on the paddle, preventing further roll...

Seemed like an interesting idea....

Hey! I resemble that remark LOL!

Sing…
… I wasn’t trying to flare you up…

Let me try to defuse the situation a bit. I have watched an awful lot of people, self-taught and proud of it, slump past me with their paddles upside down, a paddle float and no pump, PFDs undone. I have been told by these folks that what I do as an instructor is not worthwhile, that they learn best by doing and that all of the information is out there in a book anyway. Then they proceed to tell me about the great deal they got on their “oars” off the internet and how they are going to run a Class 3 river in their new Carolina.

All I meant to say was that these folks could probably benefit from a lesson, and yes, they are very easy to spot. Whether they sign up with an outfitter, join a club, or whatever is far less important than that they try to actually learn something, from someone.

I am sorry that you took my post personally; it was not directed at you. Happy Paddling!

Wow! With technique THAT bad…
… how’d they get past you!!! L

ouch.

One More Perspective…
I am a beginner and I have wanted to fast track learning my basics. I have taken a basic ACA course, a roll course, and Im planning a second roll course with my partner so I can help her perfect her roll.

I certainly learned from each of the classes that I attended. However, I have also watched, repeatedly, a recommended roll video, read many articals on rolling, rescue techniques, strokes, braces, and general kayak paddling. I think that I learned a bit from each of the types of learning tools that I used.

Must be just me but I really only got it after I tried it by myself and performed each process. I am still learning and moving ahead.

Mark