paddle leashes

Yep.
I’m with you on that.

Some good ideas here…
I don’t see much point in a leash but a good

quick stowing scheme (or two) is very desirable.

I like the velcro strap idea and I like the

idea of a little bungee cord with a clip. In

the rare case where you do lose your paddle I

also like the idea of having a small spare

paddle on the deck – maybe make a 3-piece out

of an old paddle and keep 1/3 of it (plugged

with a T-handle) at the ready?

stow a storm paddle

– Last Updated: Mar-17-07 6:10 PM EST –

on the foredeck & forget the leash.
Should you accidently lose (huh?) your primary paddle, or perhaps fail to secure it properly under some decklines while fiddling around with your camera (or whatever), you will easily be able to recover it by quickly grabbing your stowed storm paddle & executing a few 'sliding' strokes.
If the wind/water is pushing your paddle away from you faster then you can paddle your boat using a good sliding stroke, I'd say you've got bigger problems.

Euro paddler users, all I can say is - get some wood...

That’s funny!
And illustrative of…many things.

One is that you seem to have arrived at a justifiable reason for you to use a paddle leash.

And, perhaps, an unreasonable view of…BCU types?

I have witnessed discussions between BCU Coach level 5’s on pro’s and con’s of paddle leashes. Some use them, some despised them. Of those (that I know of) who depise them, none would downgrade a student for using them… if they had a good personal justification fo using it.

Indeed, I was first introduced to a reasonable use of paddle leashes by a BCU coach.

That may be the point. Why use one? Blind, and unreasoning? Why not use one? Blind and unreasoning?

I know I didn’t like them, then started using them to learn if my dislike was based on prejudice.

I wound up liking them after all, then, going back to not using them.

I do think some disparagement is unreasoning- like using them in surf. While it possible to be a danger, a short paddle leash may be very little danger, and a potential aid.

My personal belief? If a paddler is still learning to do brace/recovery strokes, and, during an upset, likely to let go of the paddle and do the infamous “butt grab”, I would say the use of a paddle leash is a potential crutch, and standing in the way of the paddler learning to not let go of the paddle. That is, the technology is an impedement to learning skill. If, during an upset, the paddler uses the paddle as a part of their body, not letting go, then I think the use of a paddle leash could become a reasonable complement of technology to augment their skill.

karl

i’ll bite
I’ve always used a leash when solo paddling in the ocean. It’s handy when you’re putting the skirt on,taking photos, eating lunch. no chasing the paddle around because it never leaves. never had any tangling issues.

At least here, you’re required by LAW to have a spare paddle,but i’d rather not mess with it unless i have to.i make my own leashes and always have one in the boat, one in the car and sometimes one in the pfd, in case i forget. just a piece of rope with a small loop on each end, either looped or clipped to deck rigging. also handy when tying the boat down overnight if you’re not sure how high the tide really comes.

Paddle Leash and Spare Paddle
These are seeming to be one or, but I don’t see them as at all related. The spare paddle is there for all kinds of reasons, including things that a paddle leash can’t make right like a paddle breaking. Rare tho’ it may be, it’d be a very risky situation to have it happen well offshore on a cold or windy day. The paddle leash is about the process of hanging onto the paddle you are using. It doesn’t replace a spare.

paddle leash
A paddle leash can be invaulable during rescue wherr it offers a safer way to stow a paddle. I holds the paddle while you climb in the kayak or take a bearing. it acts as a drouge if you lose you boat. It can be stowed around tou paddle shaft when not deployed.

BUT It should have a quick release in case of intanglement

Falcon

Good commentary, as always

I have no issue with BCU types, people who use leases or those who don’t. I am amused, sometimes, where folks draw their line in the sand and wonder why they choose certain issues to so vehemently defend or denigrate. There are some thread topics that are always guaranteed to bring out strong and differing opinions and “paddle leases” seems to be one of them.

I depicted a day in my life and chose to characterize the “lease haters” as “BCU types” which in this case was accurate. They could have been anybody with an opinion about leases. In this case it was the BCU folks. I characterized myself as every other paddler who looks to expand his/her skills and influences and stumbles trying to fit in.

I appreciate your comments here because you can always be relied on to be a voice of reason while providing great technical insight and humor. I may skip over contributions by many regular posters I always read anything by “otterslide”.

Jon