Paddle Quality....

A good Paddle:
A good paddle is way more important than the hull you’re in.

If sitting in your canoe a good bent FoxWorx to Zav is the range. If kneeling: FoxWorx to Dog Paddle is the range.

Better blades transmit more feel back to your hands. It’s an intuitive feedback loop. I’d rather see you spend $150 on a paddle than $2000 on a boat.

My paddling pleasure increased greatly
when I got paddles that were lighter and moved better in the water.

Before that I had several years of fun in canoes and kayaks with cheap, used paddles. Most came with the used boats that I bought.

If you’re satisfied with the paddles that you have, don’t even try the better quality paddles. I knew that I wanted a ZRE the first time that I tried someone else’s.

Charlie’s paddle advice…
…I have read it before and applied it. My advice is to listen to Charlie.

I started with those awful Feather Brand planks (came with the boat). Wouldn’t touch one of those things now. The only thing good about them is they aren’t easily damaged. Same could be said about the aluminum/plastic blades that I keep around as loaners.

There are plenty of good reasons why so many paddlers are willing to pay $150 and up for a paddle - and/or learn to make their own.

Balance is nice too
At least in wood paddles the better ones usually balance better - slightly above the throat. That’s my personal preference, anyhow. The better paddles usually have a thinner blade and are quieter particularly when doing underwater recoveries.

My first paddles were Grumman ash beaver tails which came with the canoe. I still have them and still use them occasionally. They’re heavier and stiffer than I’ve come to like though.

I really like the Grey Owl Tripper or Chieftain. I like the flex, the grip (particularly after the varnish is removed and the grip is fine sanded and oiled) and just think they’re pleasant to use. In fact I think Grey Owls in general are pretty good and reasonably priced, especially when compared with Zavs and other carbon paddles. I have a Sawyer cedar voyageur that I also like, but I think the balance and grip is better with the Grey Owls, at least on the lengths I like.

I just like wood. It “feels” better to me, though it certainly is heavier. I dislike aluminum shafts. Cold cold cold.

I certainly agree that its better to use a paddle that feels good no matter what the boat. The nicest boat in the world is a pain to paddle with a Feather brand or such. On the other hand, I think a person can go too far with this. There are some paddles that are almost too beautiful to use in ordinary situations - Wildwood paddles struck me as such, but, damn, they were light and beautiful…real works of art and I’m sure they were functional enough. And about the price of a Zav.

When you paddle with other folks, swap off paddles for a while and get to see what’s most comfortable for you. A paddle is a very personal thing. I get ridiculously attached to mine. Certainly more than just a slab of wood and at best they can be downright artful.

Just for kicks, shoot a glance at these.

http://paddlemaking.blogspot.com/2008/03/omer-stringer-birch.html

http://www.shawandtenney.com/catalog/index.php

I think you will see a common thread
in this thread. Everyone can paddle just fine with a wide range of paddles, but love the better ones. ZRE is extremely popular for a reason. I have two PowerSurge Mediums, and would never go back to wood again. That light weight pays big dividends after the miles start to stack up.

quality
Actually the longest paddle trips I’ve ever made were with the cheap standard wood paddles, at the time didn’t know any better. Couple of those trips were in the 75 mile range. I was also a heck of alot younger, heck my dad that was at the time my paddling partner was younger than I am now :slight_smile:

If you start to work on your technique and using different strokes you’ll more quickly appreciate a better quality paddle, if you just splash along you won’t care.

Bill H.

technique
Btw, most people can paddle a canoe, not everyone can paddle it well.

If you get to watch a true expert paddle his/hers, you’ll very quickly understand why you’d want to learn and use proper technique.

Bill H.

paddles?
“I mean, they paddle pretty good.”

Really? Compared to what?

compared to
my hands.

good paddle
The important thing is that you are canoeing.