Paddle types for a specific purpose

This is exactly how I do it. What paddle do you have? Specifically what material is the shaft made from?

Thanks for your advice - specifically about the ferrule - this was my major concern. I also suspect I am using the exact Ainsworth paddle you mention as there are several in use at my club that are the same as what I use.

I have a very old Current Design Feather and a much newer Nimbus Kiska , both are two piece (with ferrule) and have a fiberglass shaft and blade.

I donā€™t always use my paddle as an outrigger/third point of contact, depends on the launch point, waves, wind. Most of the time, I get one leg out, and then stand up to get out, opposite to get in.

So now is a good time to ask. Iā€™m looking at the post and at the picture of the alleged paddler sitting way away from the kayak. {the you tube NRS picture}

It appears as tho his intent is to sit on the paddle .

Now for the question.

Why would anyone sit this far from a kayak to get in? It appears that he could just as easily sit on the back deckā€¦or stretch out his left leg {as tho he is getting into a car seat} and then plop his butt into the seatā€¦then bring his right leg in.

Please educate and enlighten. Also, with the technique, how dose one ever launch into surf?

I always carry a second paddle under my deck lines (as do most of my touring kayak buddies). I

highly value my two favorite light high performing Greenland style paddles, a carbon fiber and a custom made laminated cedar, and would never subject them to the kind of abuse you illustrate.

One reason I carry a backup paddle is safety and being assured of having a means of propulsion if I or a companion loses their primary paddle.

Another reason is that my backup paddle is always a different style of paddle which can be useful to switch off to if conditions change.

My usual backup is either a standard blade Werner fiberglass shaft two-piece paddle or a short (72") solid wood Greenland storm paddle.

If I have to use a paddle to pry my boat off rocks, use it to balance during weight transfer off a dock, paddle in a rock garden, loan to a companion who has lost or damaged their own blade or any other situation that might risk damage to one of my best paddles, I pull out the ā€œbeaterā€ and use that.

Youā€™ve got a great ā€œbeaterā€ already, now treat yourself to a quality lightweight paddle and let the hefty Ainsworth live under your bow deck lines until and as needed.

1 Like

Try Itiwitt X500 from Decathlon.
Carbon shift, plastic blades, 2 piece.
Iā€™ve been using one for two months and itā€™s lightweight and efficient in the water.