paddler to boat size relationship?

right size
When I demo a boat, one of the first things I check is If i can comfortably put it on edge. If I can’t, it’s a clue that the boat is too big for me.

Depth has a huge impact on paddling comfort, especially if you have short arms or a short torso. A foredeck that’s too high for your body just gets in the way. If the cockpit is too deep it can be hard to brace.

It’s very common for folks to buy/build for their expedition dreams instead of their day-paddling reality, and end up with much more volume than they need.

Sitting is a start but only a start
Sitting on the shop floor is a good way to eliminate the really poor-fitting ones. That’s why I specified “demo or rent”–you need to take it on the water to choose a range of possibly good ones rather than merely eliminating the wrong ones.

One complication is your intended use. If you plan on doing long trips, you should factor in the extra cargo weight and volume.

L
Just Call phil and get a QCC and be done with it!!, You know you want too!!!

low freeboard 600 would be neat

swedge, you must be

– Last Updated: Apr-24-06 6:54 PM EST –

the only one at jocassee who did not see me swooning over waterbuffy's gorgeous wooden boat. *grin*

No idea who is near you
but a place like Newfound woodworks up in New Hampshire might be a good place to start.

Trial and error could lead to a LOT of wood boats before you discovered the ‘right fit’ for you. Newfound Woodworks holds a rendezvous in October where there are a ton of wooden builds to see. I’m sure most builders would allow a try of their creations.

more than one
Actually, I build because I enjoy it. I’ve only built one kayak for myself. The rest have been for other family members. It’s also been a way to give the rest of my family nicer boats than I could afford to buy new.