Paddler's First Aid Kit

hey
I will start carrying one, after my last little episode with the boat trailer and my toe! I have a little backpacking one that would be fine for yacking. Also what good is a first aid kit if you know nothing about first aide? Sometimes it’s more then just a cut or scrape! They offer many classes in this. I get mine every year, matter of fact I am scheduled to take the class April 27 from 8-1600

Roll of duct tape and tampons

– Last Updated: Apr-15-04 8:56 AM EST –

Seriously. Minor cuts and such can be dealt with using just the duct tape. Major bleeding, duct tape and tampons. Broken bones, duct tape and driftwood (I'm a river paddler. Wouldn't work at sea, of course). Dislocated/separated shoulder, place arm in 'sling' position, wrap tape around arm and body. Broken boat, apply tape to hull. Etc etc...

Here’s a link
to a great article on First Aid Kit essentials.

http://www.backpacker.com/article/1,2646,150,00.html

For those of you who don’t want to read it here’s the doctor’s recommendations:

Gloves

Cloth tape

Ibuprofen

Irrigation device

ACE bandage

Full-size SAM Splint

2nd Skin or equivalent

Precision tweezers

Pencil

The two necessities I add are: 1) a tube of super glue for sealing up life-threatening cuts. 2) Imodium AD or some other anti-diarrheal.

People always ask me if I thinks it’s safe to put super-glue on an open wound. I’m sure it’s not good for you, but if it saves you from bleeding to death, who cares?

-MEAT

We carry one!!
It does’nt matter if it is a day trip or a weekender.In my opinion,it is very important to have one with you when going on trips as paddlers,hikers,and bikers do.Just one wrong move with a knife,for example,can make for a bad day.It’s even mandatory at work that we have one on every truck in case a small accident may occur.And they most certainly do.I think it is pretty smart to have one around.Be safe everyone.

Wayne

Once again…
how can anyone justify not carrying a first aid kit? Same as not needing to know how to get back in your boat. You never know when something will happen to you. Even if you are paddling in an inhabited place, why take the risk.

I keep a kit in my emergency pack that goes from the Jeep to the day pack to the drybag for paddling.

Someone please explain why the DON’T carry one all of the time. I don’t get it!

useful items
Vet Wrap. It’s wide and sticks to itself without being sticky. Strong, light, sheds water, some stretch. Great for compression bandaging and splinting. Also, you can unwrap and check a wound and rewrap if you are careful. Doesn’t sag like an ace bandage when it gets wet. Cut or tear to length.

I also carry one or two cotton bandanas. Two can make a variety of slings. Endless uses.

OK, OK
Went to Outdoor World and purchased one, hope I’ll never have to use it.

Way to go.
We hope you don’t need to use it either but when you do, you’ll be glad we pushed you.

You can’t plan for an accident to happen.

first aide kit
duct tape and super glue, the duct tape can also fix your yak

Day Trips
I mostly do day trips where I am always near help.

BUT, there are some thing sI MUST take:

Moleskin

Bandaids

Hand Sanitizer,

sun screen SPF75+ (Arizona)

Sun Burn lotion

Comb (cactus) and Tweezers

These are almost required… especially when you gt blisters, sunburn or bump into a cactus (floating downthe river or on shore when you pee)

Anything else is extra and situational. Like on the ocean, I’d take desalination tablets, on an overnighter I’d take water-purification tablets. If I added hiking, I’d add ace bandages…

desalinisation tablets?
Never heard of such a thing. How do they work and where can you get them?

first aide kit
adolphs meat tenderizer and one of those chemical hotpacks for jellyfish stings .for that occasional man o war tentacle that comes up on your paddle, the heatpak is the best, it breaks down the venoms protien enzyme rapidly…and is what the emergency room will do first,heat the affected area;the meat tenderizers is good but not as effective as heat,and take benadryl if its real bad. Do Not Apply Ice!, unless you like lingering excrutiating pain.