Paddles. Low angle? High angle?

agreed
I finally switched to the wing a few weeks ago. I should of just learned this way. All the fears I had about alternate strokes and bracing are ridiculous.

However a high angle stroke with a euro mimicking a wings movement through the water is pretty cool. I can definitely feel the difference.

Ryan L.

Adding variety
It sounds like your purpose for buying a euro paddle is to add variety to your skills, and work on things you haven’t been practicing with the GP.

In that case, forget trying to replicate the GP with a long, low-angle euro paddle. Instead get a high angle paddle for practicing that efficient, high-angle BCU-style stroke. I’d recommend a Cyprus 205 for someone your height. Any longer and you’ll have trouble with a high angle stroke.

Have fun!

Nope
It’s a two-piece paddle that came with a single hole for 45 degree feather. I bought in 2005 - it was on discount so may have been older. It’s very minimal, which I like now that I have it unfeathered. I used a progressive series of very sharp drill bits to add a hole to the inner portion of the nested tubes, to get the little spring-button thingy in the right place for zero degree feather. Nothing shows from the outside, which is nice.

Agree
I agree with Nate’s advice. These days I split my paddling about 40/60 between GP and and Euro’s, mainly an Ikelos 215 bent shaft. I’m 6’3" and paddle an Explorer and a Meridian, plus what ever is around the shop that my long legs and big feet will fit (Romany, Nordkapp RM, Chatham).

I really like the contrast between my GP’s and the big-bladed Ikelos. I use a 30 degree feather. In rough stuff, I feel more secure with the Euro. That said, the GP feels like “home” each time I use it. I also often use a Shuna 215 or 210 at work.

I think the variety makes you a better paddler, and I personally don’t have a problem switching between them. The GP taught me to roll, and then I could transfer the skills to the foam core Werner. I like the bent shaft for its positive indexing (you know right where your blade is positioned), and because the shaft feels a little bigger in diameter.

I find it interested that top coaches disagree so much on the questions of straight vs. bent, and feathered vs. not.

A wise coaching friend says something like “I have strong opinions on the right way to paddle, and if you ask me next year, my opinions will have changed”.

Alan Mapes

Atlantic Kayak Tours