Paddles? What to use when first buying

paddle
Be careful with the weight. When I bought my first kayak I had a cheap paddle thrown in with the purchase. It was heavy and after paddling a while my elbows felt it. I switched up to an Aquabound Expedition AT which has a fiberglass shaft and loved it. I am now considering an ergo shaft carbon paddle. Aquabound is not too expensive and is a good middle range paddle.

Weight and fatique are important
factors when considering constant repetive motion, especially in touring and recreational. How far away you hold your paddle from your body, the angle of your elbows, etc, will all affect the fatique element of the repetition. I have found that weight is a much important factor than price.

Grey Owl
I love the feel of my Grey Owl wooden paddle. I still use it when I can, but for longer trips I use somthing lighter like a Swift or Onno, and for rough trips I use an Aquabound Seaquel.

Aquabound Seaclude
I would say that a Seaclude is a very good first paddle.

I have lots of paddles ranging from homemade to custom made Onno, but I still use my Aquabound Seaquel a lot.

The Seaquel is probably too big a blade for most, the Seaclude is probably better for a beginner.

The Aquabound is very heavy, but very durable. I really can not believe I have not broken that padle yet.

If you do anything rough, the Aquabound is a great first paddle, but you will want a lighter one also.