paddling alone in the ocean

Truth is, I don’t really enjoy paddling
the scupper at all. I find myself getting frustrated and pissed off:) It’s defintely better now that I have removed the rudder, but it isn’t fun for me. I don’t know what changed, only that it happened before I got the avocet, and probably motivated my search in large part.

"rescue fee"
Most people got into situation of needing rescue out of ignorance. They never thought there’s any danger there in the first place. So the thought of paying for the rescue only came after the fact. It’s not going to help in preventing it in the first place.

Most “rescuee” have to suffer considerable discomfort while awaiting rescue. I think that’s lession enough that they wouldn’t do it again without thinking. Slaping a “rescue fee” might actually encourage them to take the same risk, assuming rescue will come, as long as they got the money.

There’re a few jokers like the one who activate his rescue becon twice in the Adaronack. Those should be dealt with in a different way.

A Natural Progression
You just outgrew your first boat, That is all. It did not take you long because you paddle a lot. I rank your boating skills very high for only a couple of years.

I think you made the smart move when you bought the Advocet. You needed the challenge.

Maybe you do need a SOT that is a little more performance oriented, but remember to have that one boat you can alway count on when you are not sure what you might run into.

I do want to keep an sot in my fleet,
and I don’t think I’m the ski type. For now it’s the scupper:)

from a solo paddler
I paddle solo a lot for just the same reasons you do. lack of partners when I have time to paddle. my advice is simple

Be honest about your limitations

stay within them

start with short trips and go farther each time to build your confidence

and most importantly “Seize the day” and Go for it!" The rewards out weigh the risks.

Happy paddling

Bob

Try my Tarpon 16
sometime. I like it ok, but still prefer a nice SinK most of the time. I go out alone all the time and did a lot of 20-30 mile solo crossings. I try to practtice rescues every time I go out. Try some whitewater paddling. Great for developping a combat roll.

I think I prefer the way a SINK and the
paddler move together through the water too…but sometimes I just want to stretch out my legs, get wet to cool off, and carry everything within easy reach:)

I’ll have to try your tarpon when the opportunity presents itself.

I like Lull’s book too.

then again
I mentioned to a friend where I used to paddle and she expressed a clear negative response, it was an isolated tidal inlet and surf zone, but I knew how to stay within my limits. Two weeks later an acquaintance was found 10 miles out in the ocean purely by chance after not coming home. He wasn’t alive. I had tried some self-rescues in benign conditions on the edge of the inlet during the flood tide to get an idea of what was there. When paddling alone you’re the only one who gets to find out what the limits are. After his death I did less risky solo paddling.

There’s No Advocating…

– Last Updated: Feb-03-04 8:47 AM EST –

this or that because "rewards" vs. "risks" are so subjective and relative to the particular person. Some folks like and NEED to be with others. There is no reward in going out and being in solititude for one so inclined. There is no persuading otherwise. Perfect example is my wife. Her "relax" time is to be with her friends. On the contrary, I need solitude every so often to relax and unwind. Thankfully, we allow each other that. Since the beginning, she has given my freedom to disappear into the mountains a week or more at a time. Paddling is an extension of that, on a shorter time frame. Inherently, there is an acceptance that something can befall me. So be it. Life is finite so I weigh quality over quantity, if that be the choice before me.

sing

while I am a sound
proponent of getting services for our tax dollars. I think the “dummy fee” is not a bad idea where I come from. Especially if it’s for recreational watersport enthusiasts. If you were a fisherman or merchant marine trying to earn your living I think the fee should be waived, but if you were a thrill seeker, or pleasure boater who failed to heed the warnings, or just got unlucky; maybe you should have to pay the dummy fine?

I have practiced wet exits
and reentry in our local water when I was cold standing up on the dock, and the water was 50 degrees or less. I ended up changing what I wear when I paddle on cold days. I now use my mysteriosa gear as a base layer, and don’t rely on only a wetsuit to keep me warm. I liked the way this gear wicked the moisture away from me, so that I felt warm again much quicker, once I was out of the water, and back in the boat. The difference was impressive.

I am not intending to increase
my risk by much. If I decide to paddle solo, at least for now, I will be paddling just outside the surfzone, in good weather only, in a landscape I am very familar with, with all of the safety precautions mentioned. I just want to get some water time and paddling in when the weather is good-day paddles in my local ocean in the 5-12 mile range. I am very respectful of how dynamic and challenging my local ocean can be, and don’t plan to paddle further without more preparation and other experienced paddlers.

All this discussion has served to make me excited about learning to roll!

My Dad had this need…
and he had some of the best skills and judgement in the outdoors/mountains of anyone I have ever hiked with:)

Simply stated: I paddle alone
because I have a limited amount of time to paddle and can’t always arrange my schedule to accommodate paddling partners.

Because I paddle alone often - I paddle a SOT as my limited schedule also is a handicap to taking all the lesson and practice I need to develop reliable self rescue skills for a SINK. Much easier to develop them for a SOT.

I’d also like to say that the primary reason I paddle is to go places and see things. Places and things not accessible (readily) by other modes of transportation. I don’t kayak for the sake of kayaking which is why I guess I’m not to into the SINK / Greenland thing.

Craig

Brings On Memories
My dad died pretty young 57. And his dad had died at 35 (alone and “pioneering” his way into this country.) My dad pretty much worked hard --6 days/week,12 hours/day – to support his family. For him, there was rarely rest and certainly no retirement. He worked 'til he was dropped by a series of strokes…

My dad (and his dad) inspired me to try not to take things for granted. So, it ain’t that I don’t fear death. I respect it. However, I fear more not “living” to my fullest because of some “fear of death.” Death comes to all. So, what are you going to do about it?

sing

Nobody Lives Forever
You might as well go out swinging!

My Dad is 87 and still going strong, but I will never live to have the adventures he had.

Not advice,
But a link to a site that has an interesting slant.

Go to www.useakayak.org University of Sea Kayaking). Wayne Horodowich writes a monthly column - “Reflections From the Cockpit” - and a recent subject was solo paddling. He does a fine job of summarizing the pros and cons of paddling alone, and often paddles solo himself.

Basically, weigh the risks vs the benefits and have fun.

Jim (and I often solo)

That’s The Fighter’s Motto
Even if you get knock out, the last thing you want to remember before darkness sets in is that you were trying to give as good as you got.

Applies to living as well.

sing

I read that column, and it was good.
His video on safety and rescue techniques is excellent as well!