Paddling alone

Usually paddle with others
but I cherish those solo paddles when the boat does everything you want it to, when you’re in a zen-like state where it is just you and the paddle.

As for where…I paddle solo wherever I can easily put-in and take-out at the same location. Haven’t tried the bike shuttle yet.

Fair weather
is my guide. As with some others of you, I am conservative and paddle only lakes where one does not have to be in a reactive mode to deal with currents. I paddle mostly solo because I often go on the spur of the moment or at most decide the night before. I have much freedom of choice since I am retired and no longer a member of the “rat race”. I also do a lot of just sitting quietly and watch the herons, egrets and other wildlife going about their business. I would probably drive some paddlers nuts with my paddle, drift, paddle, drift, stop and watch and just generally goof off style of kayaking. I stay close to the shoreline because that’s where most of the action is to be observed. Most important is just being out on the water.

alone too
and in my area its the TVA lake system…so conditions vary from perfectly smooth flat water thats 80F to 4-5 foot rollers at 42F…with the orientation of the 4 closest lakes (Watauga,Boone,S.Holston,Cherokee) you can choose how much wind you want to fight by driving 45 minutes…for paddle camping Wautaga is pristine and has the 3rd ranked cleanest water in the USA…the lakes of NC and SC are within 3 hours as is Fontana Lake…

Thanks Medicine Man
for bringing up the Lakes in Eastern Tennessee. I’m in Southwestern Virginia and looking for large lakes I can solo canoe camp on for multi day trips. (Watauga,Boone,S.Holston,Cherokee) sound pretty interesting. do you have any links to camping/fishing information on Watauga? Here in SW Virginia we have Fairy Stone Lake and Philpott Reservoir, Claytor Lake and the New River, and Flanagan Reservoir on the Kentucky border.

Thanks

Andy

day trips
I do day trips on lakes and class 2 or less rivers. On the lakes I pay attention to the wind.

all the time and any conditions
I have no one to paddle with because paddlers in my area would rather watch birds or bush-wack than really paddle.

I go out in any condition I feel I can handle. Build your skill and get out there!!!

YEEEE HAAAWWWWWW…

Too general a question
The short answer: any locale/condition I feel I can handle myself

Long answer: Small lake and slow river: any time (summer/winter, rain/shine/windy). Open water: stable weather within my ability.

As far as season goes, as long as one is dress FULLY for the water temperature, any season is good.

Conditions
I paddle alone about 50% of the time. Either way with or without someone along the weather conditions and forecasts usually dictate if I go out or not. Lightning storms for me (and probably most others) keeps me as a land lover.

I feel confident with a few recovery methods and am prepared for getting wet (and very much so enjoy it!) I just don’t care for a cold rain constantly blowing in my face. On days like that I find things to do to keep me busy in other ways. Kayaking is something I enjoy, and would like to keep it that way.

As for paddling alone when conditions are favorable, there can be something spiritual about it. The wildlife isn’t spooked by any talking and are more visible. I seem to notice a lot more in the shore, water conditions and even clouds.

Paddling with others has it’s own rewards also with another set of eyes and ears, New knowledge to gain in some new paddling technique or equipment, or just hearing about sharing the events of the previous evening. There are the greatest chances of having a few good laughs with others around, than by myself.

I like it both ways. (Now that sounds bad!)

Meetcha half-way
Hey Bill,

There are a bunch of us in the Philly area that paddle year-round. Perhaps we could meet you half-way somewhere to paddle. New Years Day we will probably do the Brandywine again.

Sorry to hear about your buddies getting injured.

Jeff

Interesting thread
I have done many many miles solo and have had moments of terror, where I was definitely in fight for life kinda zone. That can happen in Alaska / BC. There are times when you can’t go ashore, as there is only cliff and huge breaking rebound. So onward you go. In past life as an alpine climber / guide, I had moments of thinking I might not see family again, but I have to say I’ve been more terrified in the ocean than anywhere else. I respect it very much, and yes, have pushed the envelope and been lucky. I think anyone who embarks on solo expeditions in uncertain waters will have moments of fear.

Who knows what the right balance is?

on lake superior
When the small craft warnings come, I head back in (or don’t go out) if I’m alone. Or else I practice in the rough water in a protected, shallow bay. My rule used to be whitecaps (before I had a reliable roll)–when serious whitecaps appeared, I headed back in if I was alone.

Almost always alone
There’s a 3 mile lake I like to paddle in the worst of conditions, just for fun. Wind, rain and freezing temps make for a perfect day at that spot. Then there’s 15 miles of the Upper Delaware River that I’m very familar with. Class I and II in normal conditions, I’ll run anytime until it freezes over. This river can roar but I stay off in those conditions with respect for the rescue workers.

Thanks
Thanks for the replys. I was asking because I work nights and during the week there is no one to paddle with and I want to paddle this winter and not take any time off. So thanks for your time.