Paddling Crocodile Infested Waters....

guides in Costa Rica
Mia, you are exactly correct. Guides in C. R. must be certified and all seem to be excellent. I hired several and boy do they know how to spot wildlife. We would not have seen half of what we saw without them.

I paddled Canyo Negro Wildlife Preserve, saw 51 types of birds, all threee monkey groups, sloth, a Bascilisk Lizard walking on water ( fantastic), many Caymen, and much more. I think the guides were $35 a day and several people can split the cost. Quite a bargain.

Pagayeur

“Aunt-Eating Creature”?
Seems to me that the name of the animal might be different depending on your relationship to the person being eaten.

:wink:

Aarbark!?!
Something like that!! It has a long nose to eat the aunts.

Mia

Cano Negro Wildlife Preserve
Did you also go to Arenal Volcano? And the Tabacon Hot Springs?

Mia

Arenal and Tobaccan
Mia :

Yes! I bet you were there as well. Wonderful places aren’t they? We hiked on the active volcano Mt. Arenal. Saw several types of Toucan and Piccaries (sp?) or wild boar. The volcano makes weird pinging, whooshing, clanging, and thundering sounds.Tobaccan was very relaxing, with its many different temperature pools from waters heated by the volcano.

I believe the term is ant, not aunt. In costa Rica this is the Tamandua.

Pagayeur

Tamandua
Your right! The ant eating creature I saw.

We didn’t get a chance to go close to the volcano b/c it was raining. We did go to the suspended bridges in the rain!! Nobody elses wanted to get out of the car when we got there but I made them all go… And we got lucky b/c we saw howler monkeys after hearing this amazing howler they make. It was a little scary but the guide knew exactly what it was and found them for us. We also saw a viper snake,coooool!! The cloud forest is amazing.

Mia

I second the guide suggestion
We went to Costa Rica in January '06 and spent several days on a Crystal Seas trip. We camped in the Curu preserve and paddled daily out from a base camp. We did some ocean paddling, estuary paddling, some surf paddling, as well as hiking with a truly informative guide and the food was fantastic! It is $$$ but it was worth it for the decent equipment and excellent service.

If I were going for the first time, especially with my family, I’d book an expedition with this group (if you can afford it) and choose the length of trip that fits my itinerary best.

It is a beautiful country and once we got out of San Jose (DO be careful there), we felt very safe.

Feel free to pm me with any additional questions. We’re going back in January. That should tell you how much we like it there!

Check the following website
Just found this on paddling.net Trips/Outfitters http://www.crystalseas.com/cs-cr-tour-multiday-kayak-details.htm

I don’t know anything about it other than what I just read!!

Mia

She must be the one that dropped the
boa. A little formal Costa Rica.