Paddling etiquette?

Different boats make a difference
I think most likely the difference in paddling pace would be more along the lines of different boats than inefficient paddling techniques. Otherwise I agree with you

John

Oooooh, that’s a tough one
You’re paddling for a cause, so it makes sense to accommodate other paddlers who want to join in the cause (good publicity as well as just nice to do).

OTOH, you probably need to cover a certain number of miles per day or it could take forever to finish your project. In that case, what Celia says makes even more sense. It’s YOUR paddle trip, not theirs.

Maybe you can hint by saying something along the lines of, “Participants should be physically fit with some paddling experience”. There will still be differences in boat speed and paddling technique, but at least you’d weed out a lot of really out-of-shape people who think a 10-minute walk is hard exertion.

Strategies to slow down speed demons
I had to laugh at the strategies to slow down speed demon “Herb”!

We have a similar paddler who is a speed demon whom almost no one can keep pace with. HOWEVER, as soon as she lights a cigarette – yes, you read that correctly – she has to put down the paddle, and then we can begin to catch her.

We used to put big rocks and bolts and other heavy debris in her ‘yak when we thought she wasn’t looking.

She also started to paddle with her toy poodle in her lap – again, no kidding – and that slows her down sometimes too.

One year as a joke award at our Paddlers’ Holiday Potluck, my husband made her a metal grappling hook-type anchor that we could tie to her boat and then toss to hook on a nearby tree or dock to anchor her (and thus hopefully slow her down). LOL!

Paddling is similar
to other sports/activities I have been involved with over the years:

Hiking

Rock Climbing

Road/Mountain biking

Distance running

The faster/more advanced practitioner can always find ways to stay busy/practice various skills/etc that enable them to stay with the slower person while not becoming bored. The most important aspect for me though is not make the other person feel uncomfortable/inadequate and to enjoy the day, the water, nature, etc and use the more leisurely pace to still learn something new. (course - the safety factor concerning not leaving someone in your wake is important too)

I know I have been with groups paddling where my max 4.5 mph crusing pace was slower than the other ones in my group so I was struggling and not enjoying my time on the water. While I did barely manage to keep up - I ended the day exhausted and unwilling to go through that again without skills/speed improvements first. In fact, my eyes were so set on the stern 75 feet in front of me that I hardly looked around to enjoy it.

Sometimes I (we) tend to forget why we are all on the water - and that paddling (like life) isn’t meant to always be a race. Smell the roses (or sea) and enjoy the lazy pace when paired with a slower paddler. I know I do.

Scott

THANKS, JACK!
You & Nanci are great examples of your approach, and fine folks with which Sally & I, and a lot of other folks can

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami