Paddling hat for South Florida

hat for subtropics
I have two Tilley’s which are great hats, but for very hot conditions i find them too hot even if i dunk them occasionally. Click on hats for sun protection in your original link, then check out the “Lawrence of Arabia” hats. They look very dorky, but are cool (temperature wise) and provide protection for your ears and neck as well.

PS If you do go for a Tilley, they make a light colored hat with a dark green underside of the brim - nice to cut the glare a bit.

Under brim glare
is my only complaint aboout the Tilley Hemp. They could have easily put a mocha-colored underbrim in the natural hat. I called them and suggested that, but they didn’t offer to make a test hat for me.

Jim

“mocha” just about says it all …
… regarding Tilleys. :wink:

Colors and styles are just a bit too geared to the retired outdoor enthusiast/gentleman boater-fisherman for me (as I’m none of those things). No doubt spot on for many here (coordinates nicely with your L.L.Bean/Outdoor World/Cabelas gear), but Tilleys still make me think more of an urban shopping safari in an unmuddied SUV full of Grandkids than the paddling I do in S FL.

I’m sure they’re extremely well put together hats that do the job, but I’m not buying one until there are people on this planet who can legitimately call me “Grandpa” (could be sooner than I’m thinking), or maybe in if I ever buy a canoe!

Too hot
That company makes several other hats in the same style out of cooler material.

so what does greyak wear
when on dangerous wilderness expedition through the condo canyons of s FL?

now now
It is dangerous out there with the scantily clad women taking your attention away from the million dollar yachts you cold run into.

P

Precisely…
… why I don’t want to be seen in Grandpa’s Tilley!

I have the same feelings about Tilleys
Probably the best hats on the market but…

Let me pretend a little longer I’m still young :wink:

I have Watership Trading
Mario if you want to stop by and try. Brgds,

Jeff

I’m a grandpa, and I like my Tilley.

Seattle Sombrero and Kavu
Some photos of the Sombrero and the Kavu on the water.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/556024652cwdMdA

No sale, but I do think those pics…
… are entertaining and have convinced me to get a new PFD.