Paddling in traffic

True, but I wouldn’t count on a ferry changing course.

1 Like

I paddle the James River near Jamestown and often had to time the crossing to get across the channel with a ferry coming from both directions. They have the right away as the least manueverable boat.

Again, that flat out is not true and is nowhere in the ColRegs. They will be the give-way or stand-on vessel for other reasons but not by virtue of being a ferry. I have had ferries move out of my path and have had them call me to arrange crossing. That isn’t to say we shouldn’t stay out of larger boats’ paths out of courtesy or self preservation but once in a crossing situation one can’t just ignore the rules resort to the rule of tonnage.

3 Likes

That was always my understanding.

Curious where you are located because I think there exists some regional norms also.

My point is exactly that, they will not, from what I’ve observed so I act accordingly.

I’m asking the husband about when he flies a
Float plane into a busy harbor and he is reciting concept of maneuverability as playing a role and explaining why sailboats have the right of way etc.

A good harbor to observe is Victoria BC, very busy!

Ferries, float planes, sailboats, kayaks etc

1 Like

The Dells is where people go to behave in ways they would never consider at home.

3 Likes

Several years ago, while paddling from Shaw Island to Orcas, I encountered a west bound Anacortes-San Juan ferry. I was never close enough to feel threatened (visibility was excellent and I saw it early), but plenty close enough to be reminded that common sense supersedes regulations and etiquette in a contest between an 18’ kayak and a 3500 ton, 8000 hp ferry.

2 Likes

@RC51Mike no disagreement here! I tend to set a standard for myself where I see.myself as the victim of any tragedy, rules and laws aside. When I see the ferry, I assume it’s following a set path. I anticipate where its going and give wide berth to prevent misunderstandings, by thinking that the captain has no idea what I plan to do. For all I know, the captain is thinking, “The next one of those little boats that get in my way is going to get smooshed!” There are laws of the state and laws of survival. That’s one of the laws that says the biggest guy usually wins.

1 Like

Well paddledog, I have a new paddling in traffic story for you. Yesterday I launched at the Port of South Haven where the Black River flows into Lake Michigan. I have to paddle past about a mile of condos and big boats and marinas to get out of town. So it was very different for me and maybe a little like your area.

The entire area plus the Black River is No Wake so actually my cruising speed in the canoe is pretty much identical to or slightly faster than the powerboats idling around.

So at the end of my trip I’m cruising back towards the dock and around the corner comes an antique electric launch full of tourists going much faster than anything I’ve ever seen in that area (and throwing a wake) and although there was no danger of collision I was quite startled and so was the pilot of the tourist boat when he saw me. Then just before I got to my dock a guy at a launch site backed his powerboat out right in front of me and I had to do a hard reverse sweep so I stopped parallel to him. He did apologize…said I was “low to the water”. No big deal but I thought of you.

3 Likes

Saturday I’ll file a complaint to tired at night and other things have come up to deal with.

Glad you’re doing :+1:

1 Like

Spotted this tee shirt design, relevant to the discussion.

6 Likes

I missed the OP 20 days ago but it seems quite clear you choose to paddle in a race course! :grinning:

I don’t paddle on the south shore much but on the north shore, unless you’re near a spot with a Harbor Master Patrol or PD, boats do what ever they want. I’m surrounded by a harbor and a bay. The bay has a harbor master/bay constable that patrols regularly and boats are more or less civilized. The harbor has a police boat that I’ve never seen out on patrol except during an emergency. Boats in the harbor leave wakes, even within 50 yards of a beach with swimmers. They speed past the giant “Leave No Wake” sign because they know there’s no one watching.

I could be incorrect but I think the lack of enforcement falls into “it’s summer let them have some fun.” My favorite is when I hear on the VHF radio one boat call another (by name) and then start cursing about poor seamanship, being cut off etc…and yet I don’t see any consequences from unsafe/illegal boating.

2 Likes

:laughing::joy::laughing::joy: yes

1 Like

The only time I paddled in traffic, people beeped at me to get out of the intersection at the red traffic lights.

1 Like

called CG today and they gave me 3 numbers to report the incident to. They ask if i had his NY number I said yes along with a video.

1 Like

Should have been able to stop with one number, the USCG. Such a shame!

well doubt they’re set up to go door knocking and question or issue summons…

They should mail a citation and a court date for reckless endangerment.

not geared for that I’m sure 7 less they witnessed it.

1 Like

Here in Michigan the county sheriff took care of it. Not sure what is shameful here, I personally don’t want any military branch to have to deal with civic infractions.

1 Like