Paddling in traffic

ok so the result is ZERO. NOTHING will happen if a police officer doesn’t witness it. Video means nothing. Nassau County Marine Bureau useless.

Laws are useless unless a cop sees it.

He said even though people are not supposed to do things like pass another boat at anchor its etiquette. So unless I was hit and injured they do nothing. He was acting like the guy’s defense attorney. I ask him if I take my powerboat and pass an anchored boat by ten feet it’s ok. He then ask if I was anchored in the channel because I’m not supposed to be.

I said I lost my camera figuring it would be considered damage and it meant nothing.

In other words they couldn’t be bothered.

Just like kids 6-16 with no helmets,no license, no plates, flying up and down the roads in front of the house they did nothing. They wouldn’t even look at the videos I had.

If you get run over they may show some interest. Responsible for your wake means ZERO.

Time for self defense .

another line from cop was what would you like me to do? I said give him a summons. :joy:

4 Likes

@PaddleDog52, at least you got three phone numbers to chase. Very disappointed for you. I guess the best option is the flare warning, make it a big one and hope it doesn’t land inside the boat. If it does, hope no police are around. Put a “Can’t We Coexist” sticker on your kayaks, so at least they know you tried.

1 Like

NY 4630 MJ etched into my mind.

1 Like

That sounds like a BOLO (Be On the Look Out) for a boat with that registration. Good idea.

Maybe you could find its home berth and borrow a big dog to leave a calling card on the fantail, or is that the poop deck?

1 Like

I’ll be looking for it for sure. He’ll get a calling he’ll not like looking at. I live on a busy canal everyone likes to drive up.

odds are I’ll see him again.

love to see him at anchor I’d trim my motor up and show him what wet is for starters.

2 Likes

I’m not surprised by the response. The local LEOs don’t go looking for work even when it’s right in front of them. Two weeks ago we had a trespasser walking through yards, looking in windows. My neighbor snapped a photo. We called the police and said “we have a photo and the person is still in the area.” Cop car drove down the street as a public acknowledgement but did not come to the house to look at photo or get description.

2 Likes

There it is! The new world order. You need to understand that criminals are victims of society.

2 Likes

Really? It seems to me this is a police problem, not a criminal problem.
You’ve seen Chinatown right? “…as little as possible, Jake…”

1 Like

My son is LEO. He has got more overtime for court dates and “forced coverage” than he should given his young children. He definitely gets more “grief” (than I could stand) both from the perps that he catches and the “citizens” who think he doesn’t do enough. There is a reason why many jurisdictions are short on LEO staff. It is literally a “thankless” job.

As for me, not that I am advocating such for others, I’ve caught twice people breaking into my home. With my elderly mother, wife and young children at the time, I made sure that they didn’t think we were easy picking. Enough said.

sing

5 Likes

Police follow direction from the politicians. Otherwise, I beleive police do what is right, because they’re mostly commited to protecting.

@carldelo, yes, I saw Chinatown. John Houston movie. Loved all of his movies, but I don’t think this is the same. Seems more like a “Death Wish” movie with Charles Bronson, but he left us, these many years past. Bronson as PaddleDog52 . . . Nahhh! There was a movie, maybe Nichole Kidman was on a sailboat, the guy from Jurassic Park and the guy from Titanic also in it. She only had a flare gun . . . Maybe it was another movie, or was it a spear gun . . . ? Memories get fuzzy as years pass. Jack Nicholson as PaddleDog52. I get it, still, it’s a different story, I thinks!

LEO get plenty of thanks here on Long Island highest paid in the USA 140 grand.

1 Like

Interesting viewpoint, but I don’t believe it for a minute, at least not in NY.

Chinatown is one of my all-times favorites – it makes a great triple bill with L.A. Confidential and Devil in a Blue Dress.

That movie is Dead Calm, also really good.

2 Likes

The movie, “Chinatown”, had nothing to do with Chinatown or the Chinese. It was about the fight over water rights, early in the development of LA, and a lurid relationship within a rich family.

Chinatown was brought in to say “bad” (and inexplicable) things happen in Chinatown, just as it was happening with the main characters. And, then there was the gratutious joke about Chinese males as having a funny way of approaching lovemaking. As someone who grew in Chinatown, I really appreciated the view it gave audiences of the Chinese… Not. For the arc of the movie, they could have omitted any reference to Chinatown and Chinese and the story could stand alone.

sing

1 Like

Yup. No matter what you do, someone will be angry, but that’s not new. What is new (and scary) is the personal attacks that too often follow. Usually it’s just social media nimwits and cowards, but not always.
And it’s not just LEOs. Same applies to other first responders, school teachers, public health staff, and even election workers. Very scary. It doesn’t bode well for those of us who think the rule of law and scientific inquiry are good things.

3 Likes

I have my own possibly cock-eyed theory as to why there has been a substantial rise in churlish and confrontational behavior, even just semi-benign “nebby-ness” as we Yinzers here in Pittsburgh characterize perseverant (i.e., pestering) of strangers in public places.

I base this on my observations of the personality shifts I have seen in people in my family, social circle and workplace when they begin taking antidepressants, which are widely prescribed to people of all ages and walks of life in the USA. This also goes for Ritalin, which friends and family who have had it prescribed have reported makes them feel very hyped up and “itching for action.”

Many of these drugs seem to have a stimulant and disinhibiting effect, similar to what I remember back in my college days in the early 70’s when people around me were taking methedrine/dexetrine (“speed”) or cocaine. I don’t think enough research has been done on the positive feedback loop of expressing anger and dominance as a way to quell individual feelings of worthlessness and frustration in a complex world.

I took a low dose of Zoloft myself for a couple of years during a stressful period of my life complicated by menopausal symptoms. I recall how I felt on that stuff, pushy and impulsive, also short tempered and irritable. I quit them after less than 3 years (which also meant a 20% weight loss).

Depending on age, gender, location and race, from 5% to over 35% of the adult population takes these behavioral altering drugs. That has to have some impact on the conventions of interpersonal engagement.

2 Likes

Hallelujah

I just told my brother the other day “remember most of these people are medicated

I was lamenting family members that don’t recall things from day to day. I feel like I am dealing with children most of the time. And then they get up the next day with no recollection of events and start all over LOL.

Actually, the quote (…as little as possible…) is not about random bad things happening. It expresses the view of the police assigned to Chinatown, e.g. Jake Gittes, before the events of the movie. The point is that police should do as little as possible about crime there to avoid getting hurt (or hurting someone else) due to circumstances that are hard to fathom.

I think the movie makes the point (subtly) that the police were able to have that do-nothing attitude about crime in Chinatown due to widespread racism at the time - hence the racist story told by Gittes. it’s not necessarily obvious on first viewing, granted.