Paddling Speed: How bad do ppl lie?

its easier
To run a ten minute mile than paddle one, but its easier to paddle a marathon than run one.

Ryan L.

Comparing to joggers
Yes, I sometimes row along a lake shore in town where there’s a path used by joggers. I can row faster than I can paddle a canoe, but even so, I can’t go faster than joggers, except for the unusually slow ones. Keeping up with even moderately good runners is out of the question.

I G(ot) P(anther’s) S(peed), therefore…
…I Am, Fast, Baby!

or, It Refracts On Me Favorably

Within satellite trilateration

there’ll be often stars of tiny constellation

which will misalign to favored situation

in those quicker acts that float a clouds inflation.

(“And all that while paddling sixty feet below sea level, dude!”)

lol!

so true about gps accuracy
I have yet to see a handheld gps thats accurate at low speeds a kayak goes. i tried my Delorme pn-20 an older model and it jumps around a bit at lower speeds. If iam crusing it might say 4mph then jump to 5 for a second then back to 4. I also had a Garmin etrex same thing. Like other poster said you need a given course length and then time it. But even then there is some inaccuracy since you might cut a wider corner than someone else or not hold a prefectly straight line from a to b. But yes i see some claims of speed I sure couldnt do.

now THAT’s a challenge
For kicks I tried to keep up with a single scull and a tandem scull. Very humbling.

You do the math, I just race
Last year I did a 8 mile race in 52 min [ in a slalom boat]… I WILL be faster[wildwater boat] this year. I’ll tell unzs on Sat. night what my time was this year. Southeastern U.S. Slalom and Wildwater Champ. race

No way to know paddling speed

– Last Updated: Aug-17-12 1:36 PM EST –

That's roughly 9 mph (no point in being accurate when there's likely to be thousands of feet of error in any distance in miles that's reported only to the nearest whole number), but there's no clue that would indicate how fast you might have been paddling. From your choice in boats, it makes sense that the current was pretty swift, but HOW swift is anybody's guess. It reminds me of the time someone stated that a speed of around 6 mph was faster than most people could paddle for an extended time, so someone responded by saying that racers on the Missouri River do that all the time, neglecting to point out that the river's current accounted for about 1/2 to 2/3 of their overall speed.

but you have to love the irony:
You do the math, I just race…

(Last year I did a 8 mile race in 52 min [ in a slalom boat])

44 MPH
Back in the late 80s I lived near Princeton NJ, and a cycling friend bought a very flashy bike speedometer and new lycra shorts, new bike etc. He was bragging to me about how his new gear increased his average riding speed. Unfortunately I’m a scientist and had to investigate. It turns out his speedometer was set to km/hr not miles/hr. We got a real good laugh out of it.

hillbilly math
I throw a stick in the water,give stick head start, start paddling, overtake stick =?= me go faster that stick/current.

Ifn me go faster than stick/current do that make current speed a non-issue 4 ME speed ???

Hillbilly math… M+C-? x C-M = DUHhha

instantaneous speed totally bogus
GPS is totally bogus for instantaneous speed. It is measuring the difference in location between two time points. The error in the location varies between about 15 and 45 ft for a good GPS using non Defense Department technology. so if you take a measurement of your location at two time points with 15 to 45 ft of error your instantaneous speed will be wrong. However if you take your average speed measured over 5 or six miles in a straight line it will be very accurate. If you do a lot of curves and bends the inaccuracies in position will add up in the integrated distances and the average speed will be off.

need to time those big waterfall plunges
We’ve all seen those mega waterfall stunts but I’m not sure anyone timed them. Just remember, much of the distance is vertical. Can probably fall even faster if they actively paddle ;))

Paddling speed versus trip speed
Terms get tossed around without full precision, but there is nothing intentional. Paddling speed is one thing - as in while someone is paddling. Overall trip speed is paddling time plus stops to check the chart plus eat a snack. People don’t always talk about this with full explanations.

For example, a trip speed assumption of 3 show paddling speeds of more like 4 mph. Or similar knot conversations, which add a further complication because a knot is enough longer than a mile to really make a difference by the end of a day.

Wave height is probably more similar. It is usually/almost always over-estimated by newer paddlers or someone the first time they are eyeball to eyeball with the top of a wave. Until you get used to it that seems mighty daunting regardless of what the numeric value is.

yep
My GPS has these data categories.

I think it was Paul Caffyn who suggested that on an expedition, the daily trip speed was invariably between 3 and 4 mph.

Paddling speed
If you’re exagerating, you are just lying to yourself.

No more than you.
An unanswerable question like yours might better live its short life on our Discussion Forum. That’s where us narcissists hang out.

Too Bad No Impellers Available Anymore
Which were placed under the hull with gauge being read in cockpit to tell you how fast you’re going. Anyway, 12 mph is about as fast as Ed McKeever, 200m Olympic champ, who paddles at 13 mph. His stroke rate is 3 strokes per second or 180 strokes per minute. The fastest I can get my stroke up to is 80. So he can really spin that double blade like a propeller?

I almost got up to 40 MPH once
I was riding my mountain bike down hill and I got close to 38 MPH on the steepest section pedaling my ass off in my highest gear for that one short moment.

I just see no reason to lie but I have certainly met pathological liars. While working at a haunted house attraction in L.A. 20 years ago, there was this kid who lied about everything. He said he was an extra in the movie The Exorcist. He would have been a baby at the time.

Our society promotes lying. Sick time is often separate from vacation time and it seems to be taught to people that they can just cough on the phone when calling in “sick” to take a day off at the spur of the moment.

The last time I was paddling 35 miles for fun, I had an average speed of 6 MPH. It would have been faster if there were not 7 foot waves and a head wind.

Dave

don’t tell me that!
I darn near had myself convinced!