paddling with a cat

wait a sec…
person saying that they were wearing a “wife beater” is scolding me for my macho outlook on cats and women?

i was kidding about cats, but you clearly really do think that “wife beater” is okay.

wowza.

agreed
Cats are tough enough. I don’t imagine they need pity.

good thread
some good info here. I’m thinking about taking my birds for a ride… Should I just strap the change to the deck of my Kayak?

lol

Joking.

JB

Helpful for portages

– Last Updated: Mar-20-12 3:28 PM EST –

You'd just have to calculate correctly how many sparrows it'd take to haul your kayak over a half-mile portage. Start with how many it'd take to carry one coconut, then stuff your boat with coconuts to get the volume...

oh wait, that only works if you are traveling with King Arthur to have French soldiers drop cows on you.

The part about birds of prey was good…
Are we talking about cat eating eagles or just cat eating hawks that will pluck it out of the kayak?

I’d paddle with this bird any day
http://freya2.accountsupport.com/wp-content/uploads/SOFreya%20komp_.jpg

OK, I’m going to end the double entendres now. Fraught with trouble and besides, she’d probably paddle harder than I.

Cats
When I was a kid, there was a stray cat that turned up where we vacationed. He would happily go out for rides in a rowboat, or on the broken Sunfish that we used as a SUP. The property owner dropped him off across the pond a couple of times to discourage his moving in…and he just swam back over. As cats have alledgedly evolved from desert animals, most probably don’t relate to water well, but if you have the rare one who does…sounds like it might work ok.

Bald Eagle is better for that
Found that a bald eagle can carry 15lb - who knew?

So, a canoe is, probably, 60lb, that is 4 eagles.

Let’s add one more for a good measure, and the canoe will fly itself.

Good luck feeding them, though :wink:

I think…

– Last Updated: Mar-21-12 4:46 AM EST –

... they were swallows, now sparrows :)

Danger is might also meet and argumentative communist hillbilly, oh... pardon... peasant, along the way...

raptors and cats
lest anyone on this thread missed the cat and owl video over at Paddlers Place:

http://www.wimp.com/catowl/

Fetche la vache!
Hahahaaa Celia! Good one! Would those be African or European swallows?

Swallows
GUARD #1: Listen, in order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings 43 times every second, right?

ARTHUR: Please!

GUARD #1: Am I right?

ARTHUR: I’m not interested!

GUARD #2: It could be carried by an African swallow!

GUARD #1: Oh, yeah, an African swallow maybe, but not a European swallow, that’s my point.

GUARD #2: Oh, yeah, I agree with that…

ARTHUR: Will you ask your master if he wants to join my court at Camelot?!

GUARD #1: But then of course African swallows are not migratory.

GUARD #2: Oh, yeah…

GUARD #1: So they couldn’t bring a coconut back anyway…

[clop clop]

GUARD #2: Wait a minute – supposing two swallows carried it together?

GUARD #1: No, they’d have to have it on a line.

GUARD #2: Well, simple! They’d just use a standard creeper!

GUARD #1: What, held under the dorsal guiding feathers?

GUARD #2: Well, why not?

Kayaking cats
I have taken numerous cats kayaking. They usually enjoy it and usually fall in! They wear a secure harness and leash so that I can haul them back in if they cannot climb back unaided or try to swim to the shore.

http://Delphyne.zenfolio.com/cats/e10d86271