Paddling with a messed-up back

Lighten your load?
I wonder if it would help you to get the lightest possible kayak and paddle, to put the least possible pressure on your back?

I realize that the mere fact of rotating your torso must be painful, but the Loon 138 is quite a heavy kayak. Intuitively, it seems that using a heavy paddle to move a heavy kayak might be more painful?

What do others think about this?

SD,I was also terrified of the ESI,
but the Doc was great. There is very little pain and the relief,if it works, is wonderful.

Just make sure you get a well-recommended Doc.The second guy I went to did me no good at all.

back brace for paddling…
Maybe one of the better back braces would work well when out paddling! Think just about all of us could use one at beginning of spring season…

$.01

Inversion bench worked for me
As others have said back issues vary widely. I suffered a herniated disk with sciatic pain a few years ago (mainly from years of sitting with poor posture at a computer terminal). I found that an inversion bench helped my back dramatically.

Regarding torso-rotation and back pain I got a different answer from every doctor I talked with. Answers ranged from don’t think about it to it will make your back stronger.

My mid-section was strong before my injury but I worked on my core as well as doing some of the exercises in “Treat your own back” with excellent results (the modified cobra pose where you lay on your belly and raise your upper body helped me).

I started slowly and was paddling (and rolling) at 100% after about one year – good enough to handle some major expeditions with no pain at all.

pain
In my other life, the one that funds my hobbies, I am a Medical Record Coder - and one of the things I code is pain clinic. There is a lot they can do for your back - nerve root blocks, radiofrequency ablations, epidurals for what ever ails you, trigger point injections. Any reasonably sized hospital will have a pain clinic - get with one. Life is too short to hurt.

much luck & many blessings,

amy

If you have not had previous surgery,
the use of an inversion table might be helpful. I have had previous surgery and used an inversion table to try to help myself recently. It did not go well. If you have not had previous surgery, start with low incline and work your way down over time. I have had a few focal blocks and while they are primarily a diagnostic tool, they do lay lydicane and steroids directly onto the affected area. You can find an excellent and compassionate neorosurgeon to accurately identify the source of your pain, or you can try some of the methods that have worked well for people in the previous posts. When I was 21, a chiropractor worked miracles on me. When I was 36, a chiropractor did me alot of damage. Back specific workouts and an inversion table might be a good start. Good luck with whatever you decide. Bill

Do your homework
Like anything else you have to check out whatever procedure or doctor you see. A second opinion helps. I had herniated discs that were hitting my sciatic on the left leg. Tried the pain management-pain pills, epidurals, chiropractor and therapy. Each one said they would fix the problem. I was afraid of surgery but after gaul bladder ruptured and almost dying, I wasn’t afraid of the back surgery. One doc wanted to do a full fusion and 2nd wanted to go in and clean up what he could. Went with option 2. That was before I started kayaking (started last fall). Haven’t had many problems after surgery or any with paddling. Surgery should be a last resort but I am glad I did it. Good luck

Hoping Not Lost One Of My Fav Hobbies
The wknd of New Years I slipped on our deck while shoveling and (learned later) I herniated the disk at L3/L4. I found this thread while researching paddling with a back injury. Thought I’d add my observations and experiences.

I haven’t been back in one of my kayaks since the injury. My beloved sea kayaks are presently up for sale (Dagger Atlantis & Baja) to cover some bills which accrued while I was down with this damn injury. We’re thinking of replacing them with a canoe when we can afford it. We still have our trusty Pungos.

I’m on my 2nd epi steroid injection, and I invert twice a day at a 40/45 degree angle on a Teeter Hang-up. My 3rd and final epi is next month. So far so good, with decent progress. Started with excruciating pain down to my right knee cap, which was numb for months. Now just a pain in my upper thigh/groin area, that’s no longer constant. I’m avoiding surgery at all costs. I was on heavy doses of pain killers for most of Jan., and weaned myself off of them by March. Don’t want to return to those either.

Which is why I’ve been researching back injuries and paddling. I don’t wish to go thru this again. Twisting motions are not good, but hoping with back and abdominal strengthening things will be better.

From what I’m reading, a canoe may be the way to go, versus sitting in the bottom of craft. Can’t say I’ve every paddled kneeling, but willing to try. No other injuries to worry about.

For those of you suffering with herniated disks, give the epidural steroid/inverted traction recovery program a try. Takes time and patience, but may enable you to avoid surgery.

All back injuries eventually heal, the
question is, at what cost? There are few god reasons for getting surgery. The single most important is the permanent loss of nerve function in any given area such as foot drop(I have), loss of bowel or bladder, or any other needed function. In these cases the pain often dies with the nerve. Anyone who is seeing “some” improvement in pain and function, and who is not experiencing real neuro deficits should hold off on any surgery. If you are getting better, odds are you are going to be ok. On Wednesday of last week I was having serious nerve pain and hip binding, on Saturday I paddled 51 miles in 10 hours. Today I feel very good for me. Paddling, in my opinion, is a fantastic back exercise. Bill

…brain activity is back to normal…

– Last Updated: May-20-10 4:45 PM EST –

My brain is back to normal...just completed an order for a solo boat...it's been more than a few years...this beautiful weather is driving me bonkers not being on the water.
Dragon... You might consider going to a little more flexible paddleshaft in an Ottertail(maybe), instead of the standard Beavertail...might be a lot easier on the body(neck/spine/shoulders). A comfortable, little twist in the shoulders/upper-spine against the gradual pull of a less-stiff shaft, rather than loading on lots of resistance in a stiff paddleshaft, will help put some fun back into your paddling....along with everything else said....and yes..why not look for something efficient(if possible), but I think a paddle change you'll notice immediately.

$.01