paddling with and w/o rudder, speed

Steering
To get the equivalent of the steering system my car has my kayak would need a computer controlled “fly by wire” system of small electric thrusters, stabilizers, etc.

Rudders are pretty darn simple. So are skegs. Both work, both are good. Which one is right depends on two things: What hull and what paddler.

Comparing racing boats and surf skis to sea kayaks to argue rudder/skeg is silly. The former are designed to have and use them, the latter generally work OK with either - and don’t need either most of the time. Those with shorter LWL may be fine with nothing.

But then all the fun would be whisked…
away from this site! We’d be reduced to the following:

“Is the Pungo 762 right for me? Signed Cherry Paddler”

Well, …ahem…C.P… it depends on what your primary and down stream uses are. If you are into racing definately the Pungo 762 is a bit of a challenge, you will need the Pungo 764 Epic option(with no overhang, save that for under the water, or the parking lot egress from wetsuit) and a rudder. You will thank me on your first BUOY TURN.

If you are into long distance SOLO PADDLING, (make sure you yell that from the keyboard so everyone notices you are a SOLO PADDLER) you may want the PUNGO 763 or better yet, get the Pacific Northwest container ship option with a 250 cm paddle to go with it. Might even need Roman galley oars, but check with your dealer on that.

The downsized Pungo 761 LV is a great rock gardening and tidal race boat, especially with the LV cockpit, the model made in Britain with the mine resistant layup is a better option.

If you are into all of the above get the Pungo 765 QCC option, it does everything, I mean everything better. It even comes with a preprogrammed lecture that at the press of an air switch will deliver a stern lecture on proper naval architecture and a solemn rebuke for that glorified ice cooler the rest of these hacks call qajaqs, make sure you spell that correctly.

C.P., I am sure your choice of Pungo’s will be a great boat to start in and you will love the expert features as you tab the Advanced button on your profile. If you get the skeg option make sure they throw in a few sample pebbles, too. They will come in handy along the way. By the way, I haven’t actually paddled any of them but my cousin’s buddy’s brother’s ACA coach swears by them. I stand by that comment.

Sincerely,

Augustus Dogmaticus

MMVI

Dogmaticus
Let’s be sure to mention that to Barton and Chalupski!!

Take the emotion and ego out of this useless, and seemingly endless debate. Rudders are proven tracking aids that more than offset their minimal drag by allowing more “directed” propulsion. Barton explains this very well.

Now, having said that, I prefer non-ruddered boats as I enjoy playing in rocks, surfing etc. Non-ruddered kayaks work better “for me” in said conditions. If long distance straight ahead efficiency was my game I’d employ a rudder.

No right…no wrong, just choices.

Salty, I completely agree…
and B&C also know how to paddle reeeaaaalllyy well. If one paddles a ruddered boat it doesn’t excuse one from foundation skills, hence my comment. I have a ruddered boat that needs one. Like you I prefer screwing around in rocks or current, so most of my boats don’t have them. If I buy a ski or a fast sea kayak it will have a rudder. But that’s just me.

Dogmaticus

that was bloody beautiful

surf skiers rise again
more and more people here do seem to throw in the surf ski example for almost everything. if one knew how to paddle they’d really be paddling a ski, true big water boats, oh, like skis, and rudders and skis, etc, etc.

how about this one.

surf skis are surf skis, aka racing kayaks, not sea kayaks and bear no resemblance in function or form what so ever.

lots of em around here, lots of elite racers too, i’m sure they are the king of boats, but they ain’t sea kayaks, and are no basis for comparison.