Paddling with dogs

An idea for hatched boats
Since your boat has a hatch, here is an idea I have had.

Some hatches - like prijon boats - have those neoprene hatches that fit around the hatch combing and have a cover. I would suggest having a custom made neoprene cover that was “too big”, that drooped down in the hatch all the way to the bottom of the boat. It would still need to be tight on the combing, but it could extend down in to the front hatch and rest on the inside of the front compartment. This would create an area for the dog to ride in, while maintaining a water tight front hatch. A great place for the dog to ride without compromising floatation.

Brooks makes customer neoprene hatch covers. They could probably make this type of custom item, as well, I would imagine.

Be Prepared
Be prepared for problem. Love my dogs but don’t want them in my kayak. There’s some places you just can’t go with a dog. Teach them to stay home as well or be willing to limit yourself for your dog’s sake. Luckily for me my dog hates swimming. One trip on my yak cured him of wanting to follow.

My wife and I ,…
Borrowed our neighbor’s canoe and took our Boxer paddling on the lake last year. My wife was up front, and Luke mostly laid down on a beach towel right behind her. We’ve never seen him swim, so he wore his K9 pfd for most of the trip, and we stayed fairly close to shore. He really enjoyed barking at other dogs and people in nearby boats, so we’re gonna have to take him again this year.

Can’t go without her…
if she has anything to say about it. Ganz is my 70 lb German Shepherd who has been sitting inside the cockpit of my swifty since she was 9 weeks old. She has learned how to move around and lie down in there too! Everyone is amazed how good she is, and laugh to see her beat me into the boat. Beavers that come too close get her nervous and she looks at me as if to say “Mom, I could get that if you want me to, do you want me to mom, huh mom huh mom?” But she knows that is off limits and has never yet jumped out before given the word. Only problem I’ve ever had is when she goes swimming first then I have to deal with a wet shedding dog. But shes great company and I can’t imagine paddling without her. I was going to take her on my trip this summer but have opted that she would be better at home, awaiting my return, and time to get back in the boat.

keep the pooch comfortable
in my solo canoe, the dog rides just in front of the forward thwart. I’ve found that having a 3/4 lenght Thermarest keeps her lying down and comfy. If I forget it and use a floor mat from the car she moves around more. So, what ever you come up with I recommend a nice pad for your dog to get comfortable on.