paddling with knee replacement

Bilateral Knee replacement & kayaking
how are you doing with this? I want to begin kayaking as we live on the water. Had bilateral knee replacement 2 yrs ago and do not have a problem sitting for hours without moving knees, it gets easier BUT I cannot kneel on my knees. I’d like to hear how you are making out and if you have recommendations for equipment. Thanks.

I am 71 and have spent years paddling kayaks and canoes of several types. Although I have paddled long distances in both sea kayaks, rec kayaks and canoes, I have gravitated towards paddling canoes most of the time just because I find them more aesthetically pleasing. The learning curve for solo canoeing however, is a bit tougher than that of solo kayaking. Except for whitewater paddling I mainly paddled my canoes Canadian style with knees in the bilge and one gunnel just off the water’s surface. After my second knee surgery I could no longer kneel so I opted to go totally to kayaking and bought a Dagger Katana which was a crossover whitewater kayak. I sold my Canoes, a 17ft and a 15ft Nova Craft Prospector. After a few months paddling the kayak I was really missing canoeing. I was able to talk my wife into letting me sell the kayak and getting a canoe again. I later found a 14.5 ft Royalex Esquif Pocket Canyon when Royalex boats were rarely available. I snatched up that boat and later found a used 16 ft Royalex Old Town Appalachian which I also acquired. I do not paddle Canadian style now and remain seated in either of these boats. I do still heel the boat over somewhat even when seated. I have learned that I can handle fairly busy water on Missouri rivers while seated. I always paddle from the bow seat with the boat facing rearward (stern seat forward). I much prefer this to sitting in the yak with my legs in a fixed position. Plus for me a canoe is just a more rewarding paddling experience and it is much easier to pack. Just know that paddling a canoe solo requires you to master the J-stroke and that may take a while. One of the really nice advantages of a canoe is the quietness you can achieve when stalking wild life near the shoreline. Using an Indian stroke you can go for miles without the slightest bit of noise. I love all kinds of paddling but with knee replacements a canoe is certainly a fine way to go. If I had never had the knee replacements I would still prefer my canoe over any of the many kayaks that I have owned. In any case, just keep paddling. Its all good and a knee replacement shouldn’t stop you from enjoying the sport.

My knee replacement was a nightmare from the start, then got a little better after a revision, then got 100% worst after a simple twisting fall that shattered my femur above the knee prothesis. Now I’m in worst shape than I was before the knee replacement. I can barely get to 90 degrees of flexion. When I got into paddling I thought long & hard about the options and did some test paddles in different kayaks and also a pack canoe. I’ve settled on SOT kayaks and I’m very happy with them. My first was a Necky Vector 13, and now I also have an Eddyline Caribbean 14 which totally rocks for day paddling or multi-day trips. No issues with entry or exit, I can climb back on after a capsize, and I can move my leg position whenever I want.

I guess by now you’ve figured everybody’s experience with the knees is different. Good luck to you on your recovery and future paddling. You’ll know what you can do after you do it.

I am often confused about people that have concerns about wet exiting a sit inside kayak. Normally you just pull open the skirt, put knees together, and do a little arm stroke and your free. No real knee action. The hardest part is remembering to release the skirt.