Paddling with the wind?

That’s the rule Jack
you paddle into the wind on the way out, then just when you think you will get an easy ride back, the wind shifts and you paddle against it all the way back. Always happens

You’re right
We hiked into a pond in the White Mountain National Forest and sat in a pine grove while high winds blew foam and streaks across the pond.

And that was not circular movement of water that got us wet in our face…Spray picked up off the top surface.

Glad I wasn’t paddling.

But I dislike football.

Not only that…
but it’s uphill both ways.

Yeah, it does seem that way at times, but I’ve cycled and paddled with strong winds at my back and you can definitely tell when winds are working in your favor. I was once pulled over for speeding on a rainy (wind assisted) day when I was a student for going 42 in a 25 MPH zone. Yeah, I was passing the cars, but I had no idea I was going that fast. I was just a rush to get home and in the shower.

The cop asked me, I kid you not, “Do you know how fast you were going?”

There were no cycle computers back then, so I just shrugged and said, “A bit faster than the cars.” When he told me the speed, I laughed and said, “I had no idea I could go that fast.” He wasn’t pleased, but let me off with a warning.

Must have been my cute legs.

Rick

Wind in face
I think the Indian meaning for the name Contoocook River in NH is Wind in Face. No matter when I paddle it one way or out and back the wind has been in my face.

With wind is faster.

Two days into the wind, one day out with the wind.

Just Curious
Were you paddling traditional “Indian Style” in a canoe or were you kayaking?

I’ve never…
had the wind at my back. What’s it like?

Pag

It’s nice
AS the center of the canoe rides up on the wave you paddle to stay there as long as you can and the wave pushes you along, but you can be swamped just as easy as waves coming in on you.