Paddling with your pooch

dog-paddling stuff
My pit (George the curious Pit Bull)was a little frantic at first b/c I forgot to bring a mat and he was scrabbling for traction. Because the Native Ultimate 14 is open like a canoe, but much more stable and lower to the water (http://www.nativewatercraft.com/) he quickly adjusted and was able to turn and take the occasional sip over the side. Things were a bit tighter in the Dagger Blackwater13 tandem, he abandoned ship while with my son to join a lab fetching a tennis ball. He was about 30 yards from shore and had the Ruffwear K-9 float coat. It has a top handle so bringing him back in the boat is easy, like lifting a suitcase full of dog. Leash stays in my pocket until on dry land.

"He likes to swim"
the question is do you like to swim because that’s what you will be doing if you take a 50 lbs dog in a kayak

we do it all the time
in an inflatable. I take one dog in the single (50lb dog) or up to two people and two dogs in the tandem (12’9" tomcat). It’s very stable, better than either a canoe or a regular SOT kayak and also more comfortable for the dogs. We’ve taken it down Class II and it was fine.

Our dog is used to a bigger skiff and likes to ride in the bow. The inflatable lets her do that, it also lets her move around a bit or lie down and still be able to watch over the bow (critically important for spotting ducks).

You have to train them not to jump out, run around etc but it’s easy enough to do.

As for why we do it, well boats are hands down the dog’s favorite thing in the universe so why not?

huh…
i don’t take my dogs kayaking…but i do take them driving.

they’re pisser with the auto but a have a harder time with the stick.

Cause it’s better than a crate
I just like to take the dog so we don’t have to have her home in the crate or put her in a kennel. She likes to be outdoors and she likes to swim. I have a pfd for her - mainly for the handle. Sometimes she jumps out. It doesn’t hardly even rock the kayak - a pamilico 100, and it’s no issue with the canoe - an old town discovery 169. She switches boats sometimes just to be with different family members or maybe she get’s bored. We go on fairly tame rivers that some people tube float so it’s just a nice relaxed float.

The real answer is “so you can spend more time with the dog” .

don’t be silly
Oy–have you done it? Plenty of us have spent a lot of time with 50 lb dogs in kayaks, and it works just fine.

well

– Last Updated: Aug-12-08 11:08 PM EST –

maybe in a real wide dumpy boat on real calm water--with my boat--22 inches wide--and the kind of water I paddle---ocean waves and swells---and the lenqth of open crossings---3---5 miles--carrying a dog wouldn't be a good idea---when I used to take a canoe out I sometimes would have a dog no problem---in a sea kayak no way

Well…
what water does he paddle in?