Paddling with your spouse

me too. Remembering our very
first outing apart from college Outing club trips on the Oswegatchie.

We rented a canoe from a marina in Long Lake and paddled upwind in two foot waves. This was a wonderful performance craft (not) and somewhere toward the Raquette Falls end one entire gunwale fell off. Since the seats were bolted to the hull of this fine craft we were able to paddle back down the lake the next day after a chilly night in an Adirondack lean to.

In the pouring rain… we got married that year and asked for our own canoe so we never would again get a paddling nightmare.

Fist lean-to on the Raquette River
one you get off Long Lake - we camped there

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eckilson/8010806809/in/album-72157631592257478/

But we probably best you

– Last Updated: Jul-11-16 7:42 PM EST –

By about fifty years. Our 47 th is coming up! Yes still paddle tandem sometimes

You got me there…
31 years for us this year in October.

On that trip I might convince my wife to do the canoeing, and the camping, but she would never agree to the Raquette Falls portage…

Nice Pics
My wife and I paddled tandem from the time we were dating in 1984 until the early 2000’s. Then, we both began to paddle solo primarily. Like theBob said, that way we can go at our own pace, take the line we want to take, and poke around where we want. But, no “Divorces” in paddling primarily tandem for almost 20 years and still the occasional tandem paddle.

Early days:

http://www.pbase.com/ozarkpaddler/image/119656845

Nowadays:

http://www.pbase.com/ozarkpaddler/image/143157476

Venue specific
After 52 years of marriage we sometimes paddle tandem. Mostly it depends on where we are paddling. If we are apt to encounter wind and waves we favor a tandem. Otherwise we are usually in solos. Sometimes if we are bringing friends tandems will be used because we can only carry two boats.

Peter

Who said that?
Maybe the guy who was headed for divorce regardless of the boat?

Marriage Management
My wife and I never go paddling with out the other. We solo in our SOT kayaks in the Midwest with Ozark Scenic River Ways, Northern Arkansas and we venture into Middle TN as well. We love our together time on the water and have a blast discovering new places. Unfortunately we don’t have any place in our backyard to go. Closest river we like to paddle on is two hours away so we get to go camping as well. With our waterproof speakers, cold drinks, couple of fine cigars (for me) and each other’s company has led to a very happy home. We also pride ourselves in picking up any floating trash along the way to help keep rivers clean and safe for years to come. We have only been at it for 2 years but I am hooked! So everybody keep’er slick side down, nose above water, and ice in the cooler!

No problems here!
Mrs. Riverstrider and I have a number of canoes (solo and tandem) and kayaks. Most of the time, she prefers to be in the tandem with me. She is a good paddler, but she tires easily and has joint issues to deal with, so she appreciates being able to take a break every once in a while.

It also gives us a chance to spend some quality time with our dog as well, who has turned into a pretty good canoe pup.

-rs