Paint-on Skid Plate

Soo Goo slides just fine. :slight_smile:

What is it?

– Last Updated: Jul-29-06 3:46 PM EST –

I am interested in whatever this Goo is but in 3 different replies you have referred to it as "Shoe Goo", "Shoo Goo", and "Soo Goo". I've never heard of the stuff.

I want to check it out the next time I'm at Walmart (which seems like is at least twice a day). What is it suppose to be used for, what is the right name, and what department is it found in?

This is a great thread by the way!

Usually in the athletic equipment area.
Make sure it is GOO and not GOOP. They are two different items. It comes in a tube and is for repairing athletic shoes.

Adhesive
There’s an adhesive called Goop which is packaged under various names: Household Goop, Plumbers Goop, Outdoor Goop, and Marine Goop. They are thick and gelled, not runny and so it is stays where it’s placed somewhat. Even so, if you go too thick then it will run down from gravity. It’s all the same stuff except that Marine Goop has some UV resist additive (not sure if Outdoor Goop is UV resistant). The different names are for marketing and they are all the same. Even with the UV resist, it will deteriorate with exposure to the sun. In a couple months, it will brittle and yellow. Shoe Goo also has basically the same properties and it is also is not UV resistant in my experience, although I think more than one company makes a product called Shoe Goo and so maybe there are some differences. I’ve used both Shoe Goo and Goop and they seem to be exactly the same stuff as far as I can tell. A better Goop or Goo type product with similar properties that is UV resistant is McNett Aquaseal. It’s more expensive and hard to find in stores, but you can easily find it for sale on the web.

Thanks
. . . for the additonal information. Will check it out. May try some on my Penob.

Any one else have any experience with this stuff?

Aquaseal patch.
I used Aquaseal to cover the heavy wear areas of the keel bow and stern on a Mohawk Royallite canoe. The R84 was worn through completely exposing the ABS white layer beneath. I sanded the ABS area and about an inch surrounding it to a rough surface, then passed the area over lightly with a flame. The flame treatment is supposed to enable the adhesive to stick better than it otherwise would. Care is needed not to heat it to the point it melts. Then I applied a layer of Aquaseal. I’ve only used the canoe once since down a very rocky stream; scraped quite a bit. So far so good. Not sure if this is the best method or not. This isn’t what Mohawk recommended, but I decided to experiment.

Bedliner Option
Since paint-on bedliner is extremely tough and adheres tenaciously to almost any surface, it seems an excellent choice to paint periodically on high wear areas of a canoe. However, as some have pointed out, it is a non-skid surface that might not slide over rocks and logs easily. After doing a tad bit of research, bedliner is composed primarily of some type of polyurethane mixture to which particles of rubber (from recycled tires) are added to provide the non-skid texture. If you could just get the bedliner stuff before the rubber particles were added, I believe you would have the holy grail that is the subject of this post. By the way this has been a great thread and lots of interesting ideas to address what is obviously a common problem for us.

Shoe Goo and GOOP are the same
I’ve spoken with the manufacturer and the only difference between their products is the packaging, with the one exception of Marine GOOP having UV inhibitors added.

As
a fyi, the chemicals found in skid plate kits and bed liners are the same (or similar) in my experience.

Seeds