Paracords as Bow/Stern Tie Down

Yup! Dat wuz…

– Last Updated: Jul-17-09 12:10 AM EST –

a relative... me Auntie Brunhilda - Champeen lady 'rastler an' hog caller... Went by de name "The Berserker Bombshell" an' later as "The Visigoth Vixen". Sure did like dem 'stangs, though!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001HKU6O2/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=1036592&s=apparel

Anywho, me Uncle Olaf Zweistein came up wit de 'ritmatik foomular to solve dis here rope problem.... YO = FU²

FE

made my day with the formular FE …
… needed a good chuckle !!!

All of you “experts” seem to know…
Nothing about something!

I have been using the same hanks of mil-issue 550 cord (para-cord) as bow & stern for the past 8 years.

The only thing you need to watch for is “brittleness” after & ONLY after direct exposure to the elements for extended periods of time (reletivly about 1 straight year).

You can tie a knot in this stuff that will never comeout without use of a knife. It tightens on itself like a Chinese finger puzzle.

It will hold weight without fault. I use it to drag deer, to tie up my hammock (which btw holds me & my wife). I tied it on as front & rear painters on my kayaks & canoe to double as bow & stern tie-downs.

And to this comment from NativeVTer:

“That’s why the military used MULTIPLE strands of 550 cord for each parachute and not just one.”

WHAT!!! What the “h-e-double toothpicks” are you talking about? The military does not use “MULTIPLE” strands for each parachute because of weight issue… They use multiple strands for canopy retention. The average Airborne has his weight with a battle supplement load of approx 400-450lbs TOTAL. Obviously you have never jumped out of a plane or even have the common knowledge of doing so. Hey, grab a sheet & tie one corner to some cord & tie the other end of the cord to your shirt tag… Then jump off your roof & tell us how it worked. (dumb@$$).

Anyways, back to the topic…

The choice is up to OP! I have given him/you rock solid, proven FACT(s) on the question. Give it a try, it will work. If you don’t like it, follow the sheep & get acouple $100 name brand Yakima or Thule tie down lines with the cool ratchet & outled hooks (which make me nervous as hell) and go that route.

Paddl easy,

Coffee

Man, I thought I was cranky!

Visigoth Vixen?
I think “The Vandal Vamp” sounds classier.

but what color is strongest?
:wink:

para-cord for hammock vs kayak tie-downs
CoffeeII:

As many posters have noted, the crucial variable in tie-down strength is the dynamic load, not the static load.

You reply that para cord must be perfectly adequate, since you use it to support the hammock occupied by you and your wife.

We are therefore perfectly entitled to ask you whether your matrimonial hammock loading is dynamic or merely static. And if it’s dynamic, how much and how often?

You raised this issue, not me.

LMAO!!!
Good point.

As often as possible, but not often enough…

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Excellent question!
I have no interest whatsoever in the answer.