Pat Moore Fiberglass Freestyle Canoe

CE, you may have noticed that fishform
hulls are very competitive in open canoe slalom racing. That does not mean they are fast in a straight line, but they accelerate quite smartly, and as you say, by sitting back a bit while racing between gates, the racer can get some help from the stern in tracking. The fish head bow is more easily manhandled to line up for the next gate, and the full bow also rides over waves and holes better.

I don’t know whether Kaz of Millbrook thought up the use of fishform for whitewater, but he makes most of the designs. Esquif sells the Spark, an ABS sandwich version of the Millbrook Ignitor, and the Spark has been pretty well received by whitewater paddlers.

I tried paddling my swedeform Mad River Synergy in reverse, and in fishform orientation, I could feel both the looser bow and the increased stern tracking. But as an amateur owner of a slalom decked c-1, I prefer a bow that tracks and a broad, flat middle and stern that can “fly” when ferrying.

Reverie
A good friend and paddling buddy of mine from Michigan has around a dozen solo canoes, and of the lot his kevlar Reverie II is by far the most fun to paddle. I fell in love with it, and bought my own before moving to Texas two years ago.

My girlfriend, who had never been in a canoe before (though she had some experience in fatty plastic kayaks, e.g. Pungo’s, etc), wanted to paddle before we moved, so we took my new Reverie and a Bell Merlin – a nice, stable boat for a beginner – out to the lake, and I gave her some basic instruction from the Reverie while she paddled the Merlin. She was visibly bored within 15 minutes, which was rather disappointing since I would need a new paddling partner in Texas. We put her in the Reverie, figuring if she took a dump, well, it was in the high 90’s that day, and the lake was like bathwater. She took off like a bat out of hell, grinning like a kid at Christmas.

Needless to say, I bought a second Reverie shortly after moving to Texas, and the two boats have been treating us fine ever since. They are both Heron blue, same as in the photo’s Ness posted above – the blue is subtle and not much to look at at first glace, but it is absolutely beautiful on the water. The gunwales, when I bought the boats, also looked like those in Ness’ photos, but after sanding off the first layer and applying several coats of Watco, they are a bright blond that shines in the sunlight (actually, the second boat I stained with dark walnut Watco, so we could tell who’s boat was whom’s).

Long story short, I payed around $1000 for each of my boats (fiberglass), but I also got a never-used Moore Cue paddle with the first boat, and a wooden Quimby version of the Cue with the second, each about $300 dollar paddles. Pricey for boats built in the 1980’s, but there are few on the market so I had to pay what the market was asking, and I do not regret the expense. Hell, if you drop the price to $500 and deliver it to me in Montana, I’ll buy your Reverie – I’m thinking of starting a collection of them :wink:

Pat Moore
I am in the last stages of restoring a Pat Moore 17’ canoe. Bought this from a gent in Indianapolis that used to work for Pat and stated that the one I have one of his original prototypes for the Peter Pond. The canoe was damaged twice with hull in essence cracked in half. After years of him hawing I did sand the gell coat, repaired the hull in a decent effort, just finished a new color (hated to change the color from the original green but color match was difficult and very costly) and am driving it to Roger at Hoosier boatworks in Bloomington to have it completely re-trimmed in mahogany. Granted its no longer original but I did tape and keep the original PM front stickers with the original color behind them as well as the serial numbers visible. May not be worth too much to a collector but its one cool custom canoe for me. :slight_smile: