Peeling out in reverse

Reverse Hanging Draw
So do you rotate the blade with the powerface facing backward?

sure
An upstream (forward) ferry into an eddy would be more controlled and conservative, but that only works if you can at least keep pace with the downstream current.

What if the current is stronger than the rate at which you can paddle upstream?

Good question
I probably end up going downstream with the current. I’ve missed a lot of eddies that way

Blade orientation
Maybe we’re not talking the same thing, but what I think of as reverse hanging draw is a hanging draw while gliding backwards (after backpaddling). And the powerface does indeed open out wider towards the back end. Just like the front of the blade opens out for hanging draw after gliding forward.

It’s a little easier for me to do reverse hanging draw on the left, and to do forward hanging draw on the right. Assuming no wind or current, of course.

Are you meaning something different?

Did all of those today
Worked on refining my back ferry (as described somewhere else on Pnet) today. Eddying out was sloppy the first two times, but the third time I got the stern tucked right below the pocket where I wanted it.

I also peeled out stern first (the subject of my OP), let boat get turned around, and entered the opposite-side eddy stern first (like the exact opposite of a regular ferry). Then peeled out stern first, let boat get turned around, and spun it facing around again, eddying out bow-first (like the exact opposite of a back ferry).

Then I practiced spinning on the eddyline, both forward and backward. Oddly, these were the hardest to do well.

Sure hope I’m using terminology that makes sense. Just writing this down is confusing.

mmm… I don’t think so.

– Last Updated: Sep-16-11 11:46 PM EST –

An eddy turn usually starts when the boat is still upstream of (or at the minimum next to) the object that creates the eddy. If the boat had drifted below the eddy, you can't really do an eddy turn into it any more.

So if the boat is still upstream of, or next to, the eddy, it shouldn't be too difficult to ferry into it. It's not exactly an upstream paddle, just a side way nudge.

I can see the beauty of a reverse eddy turn. I just don't see it as a necesity.

I can see Peter’s point
I think Peter’s talking about situations where you have significant downstream momentum. If you try to ferry into the eddy, you’re likely to get swept downstream. It happens to me all the time, but I just catch the next eddy. If you could get your stern across the eddy line, the current would swing you around into the eddy and hold you there. (I don’t know about short kayaks, but I can see how it would work in a canoe.) Still, that would be one wild turn – I’d swim for sure.

Erik
above Bears Den (New Boston) has that eddy you get drawn into stern first, and it’s a neccesity. Not sure if that’s what you’re talking about (concert last night, and headed out for a Riverton uber level run). Anyways, you go by this rock at the top of a chute, back paddle to get drawn into the eddy, or else scout on the fly which can be wild. Issue is getting lined up to exit the eddy at the right angle

That’s probably it…
Becuase I swam last time I ran it. Actually, I tried to running it on the fly and flipped in that first drop. I did catch you and Scott doing it right, but I missed the inital eddy turn you are talking about.

http://www.vimeo.com/7135246

Tried these yesterday with mixed results
I could do the reverse peel-out without too much difficulty – back paddle across the eddy line and lean downstream. The current did the rest, although a forward or cross forward stroke once the boat was fully in the current helped to finish the turn.

The reverse eddy turn was more of a challenge. As soon as I turned the stern toward the eddy line, the current would start to ferry the boat the other way. It was a challenge to back paddle fast enough to push the stern into the eddy. Once I did, lean upstream and the boat turned easy enough. Its definitely not an intuitive move though – especially the leaning.

Interesting to practice, but I’m not sure that I’d ever use it on the river. Paddling forward into and out of eddies is so much easier. The river was at a nice level, so I also practiced some back ferries – I’m really bad that those. It’s a whole different set of muscles paddling backwards – my shoulders are sore this morning.