Pennsylvania Pole Source?

Sounds like the same pole I have
You can plane / sand off some of the octagonal edges if the pole isn’t comfortable to your hand.

It will be way beefier (and heavier) than your closet rod. I suppose you can break anything if you put enough force on it (as Daggermatt’s son demonstrates) but the ash pole will take more force than the closet pole, so if you were not snapping that pine rod, you’ll be fine with the ash pruning pole.

If it’s like mine, your pole will have a taper on one end and be rounded off on the other. I put a copper tip on the tapered end and left the rounded end as it was. If the polling is not too demanding, I just use the one end. If I’m doing something that needs windmilling, like when Matt and Aaron took me to school, probably better off with the aluminum pole anyway. But you could copper tip both ends, as suit your needs.

~~Chip

oh great…
just what we need, another “pole-snob”…“oh Smithers, pass the Grey Poupon and another stick of 7075, si’ ‘vous plais’”

Jest kiddin’, been quite a few accusations of snobbery on this board lately, thought I’d join in with the gang of Ram-x defendin’ soup nazis who think everyone else is elitist. Also get the feeling I’ve been in Aerospace manufacturing too long. 7075 I’d imagine would be great stuff, shop I work in uses it (forged) for the hub that holds the 4 blades of the Apache helicopter together. Finding a stash in tube form would be quite a find.

just thinkin’ out loud
Some gliders use 7075 tubing, and dings that would make them unsound for flight might still leave sections long enough to be useful for poles.

no FAA on the river NM