Penwyn Mahr tidal race video

Looks manly enough to me
That looked like plenty of excitement to me. Two years ago I played a bit in the mouth of the Michipicoten river in October. I had enough challenge with the 4-5 footers coming in off Lake Superior hitting the mouth of the river. Definitely fun and a lot closer to home.

Nothing compared to the link you posted, but much closer to home. I need to get a lot more practice in moving water and eddies before I’d be comfortable there. (Did my first endo there, accidental of course, and rolled back up before anyone even noticed) I felt at the edge of control many times and still talk about how much fun it was two years later. I haven’t had the chance to push my limits again since then. Flat water everywhere we went this last season.

walk in the park
Finally looked at the clip, and yeah, it looked pretty mellow compared to what it can be.

In the clip it looked similar to the first time I jumped in it; a week from spring tide, just at the beginning of flood. Very fun, with an eddy on either side of the top wave, and if anyone flubs a roll, plenty of time to rescue and get back into the bay further north. But wow, spring tide is way different than the vid- even with no wind, waves double overhead, easy. And when the wind blows, all hell breaks loose.

Two days before spring, the wind drove all night at force 6-7; the two comments I heard that morning from the locals where,“the sea will be closed today”, and, “you could lose a small ship in there”. We had to run out past Porthdafarch just to look, and yeah, a small fishing boat would not be able to be seen.

I have not seen anything of this intensity on our west coast, not in SF bay, San Juans, Race Rocks, or even the Columbia River bar.

And to up the ante, PM is close to North and South Stack Races, as well.

All relative; the Anglesey folk were amazed at West coast surf- last year one of them (at Bodega Bay) remarked that the surf was quite big. He was informed that it was, in fact, just a nice day.

I’d like to go there
Yes I’ve seen film of nastier places, but I’d like to go,

Thanks for the post.