Perception Airalite

the Carolina…
is a barge compared to the Sonoma. I think of the Sonoma as a sports car and the Carolina as a family sedan such as a Ford Taurus. The Carolina would probably be a great boat to put your parents on due to it’s high level stability. The Sonoma has high secondary stability and average to good primary stability once you get used to the tippy. As for the deck height, although it could possibly have been lower, it isn’t very restricting at all. I’m 5’ 8" tall and a guy but my sister who is around 5’ tall took my boat out and was fine with the deck height. Of course torso height matters more than actual height in this case. Your comfort with deck height also is determined by your style of paddling. I tend to have a higher angle stroke with a Euro paddle and a low angle touring stroke with my Greenland.

Oh and one more thing, this boat has some really nice hip and thigh pads which helps to control the boat and it helps in rolling the boat if necessary. I think I need to add a little more padding but for many people the outfitting would be a nice fit as is. Let us know once you try it out as we’d love to hear your feedback. Don’t be scared if it’s tippy because that can be overcome. (I was kicking myself for getting the Sonoma for a couple months after purchase because I thought I had purchased an inherently unstable kayak. 2 months later I’m glad I kept with it because it is the boat that I always dreamed it could be for me.)

I suspect the dealers who will not …

– Last Updated: Jul-26-04 8:35 AM EST –

...carry Airalite are being overly cautious or have other reasons (perhaps preferring to sell you something else). As far as the material being "soft" when strapping down tightly, I think if you survey actual owners (not salesmen!) you will be hard-pressed to find any with this complaint. In fact, that's one of the reasons I bought one (my poly boat would dent if racked for 24 hours...and a Prijon, no less!). What did the dealer suggest...that a poly boat would be easier to "straighten back out?"

Sure, your hull will get scratches/gouges, but it is probably as durable a hull material as the average yakker needs. And yes, it is homogenous, so scratches don't show like on gel coat.

Like NT, I would predict any dealer who refuses to sell this "new-fangled" material is going to see a lot of their customers defecting. Let THEM decide, fer cryin' out loud...and I thought it was the manufacturers who have to stand behind their products, the dealers are just their agents.

As for the materials being "the same," we may someday learn the truth. With no "insider" knowledge, I believe it is purchased in sheet form from a major chemical co, but can me ordered with slightly differing "recipes," thus giving it slightly different properties. These properties may also be affected by each manufacturers' thermoforming process. So in the end, Carbonlite/Airalite/trylon etc. are very similar but it is not inaccurate to claim they are different. (And I'll bet among each brand there is a slight difference between each "batch" as well!) ....Just my .02

Just ordered my boat!!
Talking to you folks here on P-net convinced me to go ahead and try the Sonoma out.

I called a dealer this morning that had a couple marked down a few hundred dollars but they were out of the shop. Must have been fate because I wandered over to Pnet to look at the classifieds (still needed to find a Carolina for my mother after all) and the first new ad I see is for a Sonoma… and it turns out the same seller had a Carolina as well. Both slightly used demo boats but for the money they can’t be beat.

I just wrote a check for both of them and made arrangements with PilotAir to ship them. I should have them next week. Woohooo!

Gives me time to get paddles, pfds, and a roof rack. LOL

I’m thrilled… for just slightly over the cost I was willing to pay for a never used Sonoma… I’m getting two boats.

Sadly, I’m in the middle of getting ready for the back to school frenzy (oh… the life of a public school teacher) and my own graduation after working for several years on my Master’s so it might be a few weeks before I can actually get them wet.

Still… timing is everything. I’ve never been so glad to have gotten an answering machine in my life.

Hoo

wow congrats!
That’s awesome how that worked out for you. Did you manage to take the boat out for a test paddle? How did it feel? I’m in the midst of outfitting my Sonoma after a solid year of paddling. I’m looking to put in a better backband and some more foam for a more snug fit.

any YAK is better than no YAK !! :slight_smile: congratulations !!

Only drawback…
as far as I’m concerned is that I did NOT get to test paddle a Sonoma.

Nobody in my area carried them at all. I’d decided to take a chance and get the one that was slightly marked down and just got lucky and ran across the real deal that let me also get the Carolona for my mother.

I’m a teacher and we go back to school next week. I’m also finishing my last class in my Master’s program and will graduate in two weeks. I knew I’d get waaay to busy once school started to make the trip to the shop down south of me that carried the Sonomas.

Must be the “thrill seeking maniac” (as one friend called me today… she really doesn’t get the whole thing at all) in me or the kayaker soul that has been hidden all these years. LOL I just decided to go ahead and buy them both… if I absolutely hate it I’ll sell it and try again. I SWORE I wouldn’t buy a boat without giving it a test run first but it was time to er… stop futzing around.

I’ll be sure to let ya’ll know how it goes that first time.

By the way… I was bragging about my good luck on a mailing list I’m on and two more people piped up and and said they are looking to start kayaking as well (one’s already in the lesson/rental stage). I immediately told them to come to P-net and read everything.

Everyone here has been helpful and friendly (and patient, too). I know I’ll be here a lot and I’m looking forward to being wet behind the ears on purpose instead of by default. :wink:

Thanks again!

Hoo

paddle on
once u get those irritating scratches and want to fix em, drop me an email. I found just the right epoxy that is made SPECIFICALLY for ABS plastic (airalite) !

I think you’ll be happy with the Sonoma.
If not, you shouldn’t have any problem getting your money back. I sure like mine.

You may find it a little tippy at first, but it kinda “fakes you out.” It does teeter a little but it just takes getting used to. Check out the reviews. Good luck.

dx, i’ll have to keep you in mind!
I don’t have any real noticible scratches on my Sonoma at this point but when I do get some I’ll definitely have to revisit this thread. Could you post the name of the epoxy here? Thanks!