Petite kayaker--fast boat?

Easky
I tried NJ Paddlers - they don’t stock the boat - would have to order it. I just wanted to try it.

According to the website, it is plastic. It is described as a small kayak - so I thought it might be worth looking at.

One more entry
Don’t overlook the Prijon Catalina. It’s fast and light!

look west :slight_smile:
If you’re central PA, Michigan isn’t THAT far away.

I looked at a map, picked Altoona, PA for the heck of it and see that you’re 7.5 hours drive from Lee’s Sports in Kalamazoo, MI.

They’ve always good a good selection of P&H boats in stock for demo. We bought our 2 P&H Boats there right out of the show room.

I don’t work there, but I do 99% of my shopping there. You could call them about inventory before you make a big drive:

http://www.leesports.com/

shoehorned into a 600 ??
I am 6’3" 240 and have spent Hours in my 700, and it has the same Cockpit as the 600 or am i missing something? yeah its a tight fit, but man the boat flys!!

One more!
Consider the Perception Carolina. There are several models, several lengths, plastic and Airolite. Fast and stable…VERY stable.

petite kayaker
You may also want to look at the Impex Montaulk.

A very nice 16 footer that I think would fit you nicely.

NO the 600 doe not have

– Last Updated: Jun-11-04 1:08 AM EST –

the same cockpit as the 700. The 700 carries its height further into the sides of the cockpit deck. the maximum height is the same but the peak is less radical. More thigh room at the sides. That's what Phil at Qcc says.

Some folks think that if two boats have the same coaming dimensions they have the same cockpit size. I know you a bit and respect you, and do not hold you among that group.

It's not the 600 not accomodating leg length, my legs are almost midget-short; (one inch less and I would qualify)my torso is well above average in length. My total height is average. I used to race bikes, I developed an explosive start off the swimiming blocks, I weigh 220 and I can still do one legged full squats (not good for knees). There is a lot of muscle, (and too much fat!) on my short thighs. My upper thighs are very large!

So, shoehorned! Especially in a drysuit with a layer of polartec 300 on my legs, (any other way to test the size of a boat for a new england paddler?)

I enjoy the montauk
for flat water gymnastics. For a smaller paddler interested in a lightweight rough water skeg boat: very nice!

At 225 plus everything else, my taking the montauk into any interesting condidions would be a bit challenging for me. The rear deck of my explorer is often awash

Sorry!
I sat in a Vela, but at the Paddlesports show that they do in March (where P&H shows up with all their boats). I went to the retail store only once and only sat in an '03 Impex Mystic.

Jay

Carolina = Rudder
so it’s out of consideration since the question specifically is on boats with skegs.

Generally, rudder adds on more weight because of the metal fin and hardware. Skegs tend to be some sort of plastic and lighter. Even several pounds can make or break a cartopping effort by a smaller paddler.

sing

EPI Episea
I am convinced is a better performing boat than the piccolo for aggressive novices. I love the narrower beam and lines of the Episea.

I checked out the piccolo before buying an Umiak for my son. If I had seen the Episea first, I would have bought that instead.

sing

I have a QCC600
and bought it for my size-I’m small with an average height and it fits me like a glove and that’s how a kayak should fit if you think you might be rolling once in awhile.It’s fast and comfortable-not too sure that I like the rudder though- I have to make some adjustments to the foot pegs I guess-it seems to want to turn one way and that’s not good when you need it to track straight…

Sorry That You’re
now experiencing some of the downfalls of a rudder. I hated the “mushy” pedal feeling. I hated the rudder scratching up my car (and me occaisonally). I hated it getting in the way of rescues. I hated it when it messes a tow. I especially hated when it snags my flyline when I out trying to catch fish.

sing

heck
If you’re going that far, make a vacation of it and keep going up to the GLSKC symposium in Grand Marais. You can demo everything on your list in one weekend.

kayak looking
try looking at perception carolina 13.5 and 14.5. Easy to find dealers and a great mid range boat. Also, Eddyline puts out the Merlin. Nice boat and similar to the Impex.

I have an Impex Currituck
I’m 5’4" and 145#. My legs are pretty short but the Currituck fits well and is not at all too big. And that baby flies!

Hey Sing
My Carolina doesn’t have a rudder. Doesn’t need it. A slight lean with an outside sweep and she turns like a bicycle! No rudder, no skeg, no extra weight, no scratches, nothing in the way of rescues.

That’s Even Better! :slight_smile:

Merlin Is Wider
But nice. I thought it was a little wide for me so I went for the Eddyline Night Hawk instead. The Impex Mystic is much narrower and also nice. I was out paddling with women who had Mytics and they had no problem keeping up. I’m no speed demon, but they left me in the “dust”.

Lou

P&H in Pa…
There is a kayak shop on Cold Cabin Rd. just off of Rt. 74 south of Red Lion Pa. and north of Delta about 6 miles That handles and demo’s P&H plus many other brands. The owners name is Brad. I can’t remember the shops name but will find it and post again.

(Come on Mindy, Help them out)

Gaylordsr