PFD buoyancy cat's too few?

"It’s up to us to figure out"
I guess that’s what at the bottom of my (minor) grievance. Sure, I can use any adult PFD out there without fear, but it’d be nice to know if, say, “14 lbs flotation” would be enough. It’s not like I can grab a bunch of PFDs with gradually increasing buoyancy ratings and get in the water with them.

The Sea Kayaker Magazine review of Sea02 talked a little about its buoyancy, because the reviewer tried it on in the water and stated his weight. It made me wonder if there were any charts of adequate buoyancy for a given weight, but maybe there are too many variations in body types to be of use anyway.

Figure it out
I use a Lotus Rio Grande with an 18 lbs rating and an Extrasport Highfloat with a 27 lbs rating.

The Highfloat is for scary whitewater, the Rio Grand is good for most everything else.

I’m 5’8", 190+ lbs and sink when I exhale.

For most paddling I’d be comfortable looking for a good fitting pfd and letting the reputable manufacturer decide how much flotation to put in.

If I’d had a problem with a pfd not giving me enough flotation I’d look for one with more. That’s why I got the Highfloat.

I can’t imagine having too much flotation but I can imagine having so much bulk that I wouldn’t want to wear it. The Highfloat is not comfortable in a kayak IMO.

Good luck,

Tommy