pfd gadgets

yes
Peter k…not just bullets…ha ha. We weren’t allowed to call them that in the service…but yes, other devices were much more prone to an accidental mishap than some flares stored in a pfd pocket,I guess I’ve carried worse things so I don’t feel all that threatened by some properly stored flares…but I think Pah still thinks I’m an idiot and no one else here knows a damn thing about paddling and the safety that goes along with it (in his mind). I also wouldn’t just “check the weather” on my VHF and be fine with it for a whole paddling day. I don’t know where he has paddled specifically, but areas all over the globe do change, quickly enough that depending on your situation or position relative to the mainland, you could encounter some unpredictable shifts in the weather that weren’t originally anticipated.

This discussion didn’t originally start with weather, I think gear and safety were brought up and I only indicated what I carry and tried to offer some advice, and at the same time, disagreeing with Pah on the grounds of carrying your safety gear locked away in a hatch. I think most paddlers would agree they would rather have those items immediately accessible in the event of an emergency.

But hey, since the Titanic failed when they shot off their flares…I guess us paddlers will fail as well…

Coastal Weather Doesn’t Change???
Just this past Saturday, a friend and I were about 4 miles off the Southern California Coast, when the Coast Guard gave a “Securite” on CH 16 to switch to CH 22A for an emergency weather report.

The NOAA recordings on the WX channels had not changed yet from the forecast of 5 - 10 knot winds and 2 - 3 foot swells.

The new forecast was for Small Craft Warnings with winds of 25 - 30 knots, 3 - 5 foot swells at 7 seconds, and 3 foot wind waves.

A 7 second period is pretty short and makes for interesting paddling. Add the 3 foot wind waves and things get a little more interesting.

We changed our plans and headed back to shore.

Nothing is certain or static on the ocean. Things change, and I for one want to be prepared. Although my flares are kept in an emergency kit in my day hatch, there is a signal mirror, whistle, and VHF attached to my PFD.

Gimme back my bullets!
My PFD includes a small water proof kit with flares in them, amongst other things. The reason I know they will never go off accidentally is because when I try to set them off intentionally they usually don’t work! ; )

As far as that good ol’ easy breezin’ coastal weather, methinks things are often much different then predicted. On longer trips predictions are not possible, so I carry a waterproof Kestral weather meter.

Augustus Dogmatycus

MMIV

again pah
There you again, spouting off at the mouth, completely assuming you know all the facts…you call it interesting?..funny.

FYI, the flares I carry cannot be deployed by the palm of your hand. The flares I carry have been completely soaked for several days and all were successfully fired just last week by the Coast Guard. The flares I carry, in case they do get exposed to water, are carried in a soft plastic waterproof sheath…for the added protection that was obviously not needed. The flares I carry have been in the front cargo pocket of my PFD while practicing rescues and belly flopping all over my kayak, placing about as much stress on them as I could, without breaking their shell.

There are a couple extra of those same flares in my day hatch for added security…well I guess that would be “stupid” and “redundant” in your mind.

BUT HERE…if I was talking like you would in a scenario such as this, I would have to say something like, “I’m such an incredible kayaker, and I have such a bombproof roll, that I never have to perform such rescues like you other guys…I don’t have to worry about practicing assisted rescues or paddle float reentries…I’m so experienced, I’ll never have to resort to using them!”

Again, if you had read my previous posts, my PFD doesn’t look gear laden, in fact, there is nothing exposed on the exterior except for my whistle, and my light and strobe while on open water. I don’t “over gadget” my pfd. I don’t even carry a large macho knife on the outside, I have a small pocket knife in an inside pocket in case I need it…but I don’t make fun of those paddlers that I see carrying a rig on the outside, as long as it’s mounted safely.

I am so impressed that you have never become separated from your boat Pah, I’m extremely impressed by your amazing paddling ability. WOW you look for 20 knot winds for play in Lake Mead…step aside! But for those of us that would like to cover the “what if’s” from time to time, I don’t think you should ridicule those individuals for being overly safety conscious…they may never be such extraordinary kayakers like yourself. I’ve heard of some very seasoned paddlers getting themselves involved in some very treacherous coastal waters and have become separated from their boats…I imagine some of those paddlers did everything in their power to get back to their kayak, but for some uncontrollable reason, failed.

I’ll leave the assuming to guys like you…and in the meantime, we less experienced folks will cover the bases a little differently.