pfd's

The PFD Debate!
I don’t recommend inflatable PFD’s for whitewater use or surfing big waves. You would be refilling canisters on a regular basis. Standard PFD’s come in an amazing number of designs and range of floatation. Smaller individuals have a greater range of choice. Being 6’3" and about 225 pounds I use a Hi Floatation PFD as opposed to a Standard Model. My personal favorite is Extrasport B22 Hi Flotation Model. It is a universal fit with straps that are easily adjustable, and give plenty of arm and shoulder freedom of movement. It has two pockets, two lash points, conforms to your body with use, and has reflective tape for nighttime location. It offers 22# of buoyancy. Other good possibilities are the Kokatat Ronin Pro, Astral 300 Aquavest or the NRS Rapid Rescuer. If you don’t do whitewater, open water crossings in the ocean or great lakes, or wave surfing just about any of the 16# buoyancy models by the above makers will fill your needs for touring on flatwater.

Check out the Kokatat Sea02 PFD

– Last Updated: Feb-23-08 10:32 AM EST –

This is my main PFD, but I own a couple of other types. This is a hybrid pfd that incorporates foam AND an inflatable bladder that can be infinitly adjusted. I wrote a review on it here on P-Net. Be sure it can float you without any air. I find that coupled with a drysuit I have plenty of flotation. With hydrosskin or similar, I noticed the "lift" when practicing rescues (emptying the boat from the bow) was not as effective uninflated. With my drysuit, the bow goes up and I spin and drain the hull with ease. With neo and no drysuit, I push up on the bow and I go down... This unit is the best of both worlds. I like it in warm weather as it is minimal and much cooler with the mesh back. It inflates fully with 3 quick breaths manually.

You can also use the alternate inflation method... you just need a certain paddler to be themself, and that action will cause the gas to flow rather quickly.

Inflatables…
on sale in the latest Bass Pro ad. I think it was listed as $80.00

My .02…

T