Photog gear afloat

orange bucket
I keep my Kodak Z740 in one of those plastic orange jar/bucket things that those cheezy boating safety kits come in. the bucket sits in my deck bag and i pull it out and take shots if it’s calm enough. For really on-the-go stuff you really want a waterproof camera or a waterproof case/body for it.

They forgot the “C” at the beginning

dropped my WPI and it is okay
Perhaps I didn’t drop it hard enough? Just in case I bought the warranty as well. Something I don’t usually do as I think most store warranty sales are a gimick. All you have to do is bring in this one part of the camera and they will replace it.

Then I found some leashes at a dive shop in bright colors. This is to make sure I don’t lose the darn thing, the warranty doesn’t cover one just plain lost.

I’m going back to the dive shop for another leash system. Cetacea made in California USA. I bought the bright green ones for my keys and Pentax. I’m going to get a yellow set and a pink set. I tend to misplace things - bright colors help.

Unusual as I’ve found
the Optio series quite durable.

In fact, I launched my WPi approximately 30’ across a river this summer in a rather hard crash while taking pictures. The river was shallow and fast and I shouldn’t have had a camera at my face. Took a while to find it but it survived rocks and the water.

The Oly is a good little camera but I stayed with the Pentax due to the SD/XD card issue.

They’ll both do the job just fine.

Holmes

KATA covering
getting seriously splashed or dunked can affect what you use on the water for photo needs. I’ve been kayaking in the Ocala National Forest, and the waters there are generally calm, and I use a Perception Swifty - stable, unlikely to capsize unless I make it do so.

I’ve been using a covering made by a company called KATA - a sort of heavy duty “rain bag” is what I call it. It wraps around my DRebel and the lens that I use, keeping the camera and lens well protected from splashing - the front filter gets splashed - and the very extreme front of the lens - in practice, I have found that no harm comes to the 18-55 lens I’ve been using.

Best advice when shooting on water is to keep it light - one camera, one lens, one filter ( I have a polarizer on mine to control refections when needed ).

Of course, this is only suitable for light rec conditions - for heavier surf, I would definitely go with an underwater housing.

Also looking…
Reading on NexTag’s website, and finding the lowest prices are on “import models”…

What does that mean? I can imagine all sorts of things, does anyone know for certain?

Thanks,

T

That’s what’s known as
a “grey market” product. It has an international warranty that is usually not honoured in the U.S.

Some vendors will accept the warranty process as a middleman but that’s not something I would be comfortable with.

Grey market is alright for some items but I’d avoid them for a camera.

Holmes

grey market
Some of the more reputable dealers, such as B & H photo in New York will admit upfront that they sell import or grey market items. While they do not have a US warranty, they will offer a store warranty on some items. At least that’s what I remember them doing. If any question, ask them. I’ve bought grey market from B & H, and never had a problem with anything I’ve gotten from them.

Very interesting responses
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I have a Panasonic FZ20 with 12X zoom and image stabilizer. I can see from all the info here that there are cameras better suited for paddling. The ideas on how to float with photog gear is very helpful indeed.

Big MPs in a little box
I picked up a SONY 7 megapix point and shoot and a dive housing (to 130 fsw). The point-n-shoot is loaded with features and the Ikelite housing matches up well with all of the buttons providing full functionality. The 7 megapix pictures are as clear and sharp or moreso than film, and any shortcomings of the point-n-shoot are an easy fix in fireworks. Works great at 110’ on a shipwreck and at