Photographers: How do you avoid losing your camera?

Phone good for my partner to call in emergency. I have separate ringtone set for her. I can set it to ring for her only also I believe. I also tell her at times I can’t answer if water is rough it may take a while. CG could also hail me too. She knows not to call except for severe emergency.

I can also contact her if paddling is great and my float plan needs extended especially at night. One time I left at 5 PM and returned at 4 AM. In or on my deck bag in aqua-pac made in UK. She knows also if a serious problem arises call a few times. Use app for tracking my trip and stats as jyak does. Fits in pack with extra battery hooked up days of use if I need to.

Serious problem defined as her or pets having accident, injury, or sickness.

WWIII doesn’t count because it won’t matter away. I’ll just paddle towards mushroom cloud over NYC :grinning:

1 Like

You are set padfledog52. I started one trip intending qto be a few hours and it ended up over 8 hours. I never thought of telling anyone I plan to be late, but forum input makes me think its a prudent idea.

I also like to use the satellite view to assess whether its worthwhile to push further past river obstructions or if it looks like the end of the road.

WWIII? Its as good a place as any, but not sure I like the idea of my ashes bondi g with the plastic. Then again, why not.

I keep mine in a zippered pocket of my PFD. It has it’s own floatie hanging out so I can grab it when I feel I need to take a picture.

1 Like

This is what I do, too. Underwater camera (TG6) in my PFD pocket, with the strap carabinered to my D ring. I only buy PFDs with good sized front pockets (a tall order for a small person who needs a high back).

1 Like

My phone has a lanyard loop (Bison GT) i have a bit of Paracord trough it. And high on my odd a simple carabineer with screw lock and low on my vest a added a bungeecord that I tuck the phone under works quite well. But it will fall out of the bungee when bending over or flipping my kayak.
Downsides… Need to wear the PFD…
Now I don’t wear it on our calm water club rounds in summer.
I need to figure something out now.
I could try a lanyard and just tuck the phone in my neoprene skirt.
I also got an Olympus tg6 for better quality shots. I could do the same with that.
Just need a lens cap for it as I don’t want to tuck it in unprotected…

UPDATE.
I clipped an unused paddle leash to a decline and the other end to the wrist strap op the Olympus and tuck it in my neoprene spray skirt. The phone is under the day hatch infront of me. Still thinking of adding a float (needs to be big, it’s a heavy phone) or a cord to the dayhatch cord so that even if it comes off in a roll the bits stay with the boat.

Like others have mentioned a million times already, I have my Pentax W90 tethered on a 16 lanyard that is looped onto my PFD. Never had any issues with it secured this way. No bags, no fuss really. The camera itself gets the occasional splash or rained on, but it’s waterproof “as is”.

What DSLR are you using? I’m thinking of buying one to augment my GoPro footage on expeditions.

I use a dry bag, rolled up and cinched to the left side of my kokatat, one clip and it’s on my lap but virtually always waterproof. Sure, I miss the occasional shot but after loosing several k to Neptune- I am safer…

Two… One is four thousand dollars. Probably not of interest. The body was 2 k and the tele 2k
I also in a Peli case carry a bridge camera a Canon SX70 HS. The investment was $400. I can afford to lose it and it does decent day time wildlife from a distance photos with a 1300 mm equivalent.

Dry bags are less dependable than Peli cases. Most depend on your financial risk tolerance which is pretty personal

2 Likes

Dear chiprat,

Buy a floating strap. Olympus makes one that I got when I bought my TG-6 as a refurbished model from Olympus, but you can get 3 or 4 non-branded floating straps from Amazon for the same price. I’ve been wade fishing, kayak fishing, and boat fishing with cameras since waterproof 35mm point and shoot cameras became available.

I’ve never lost one, but as insurance I do have the camera tethered to my fishing vest or PFD depending on what I am doing at the time. On quick trips a neck lanyard works just fine as there is always a pocket on the vest or PFD to stash the camera if I need too to do that.

My DSLR’s, though weatherproof are not as safe on the water as my TG-6 so they only go out in my motorboat. I’d need a separate boat just to float my DSLR’s with mounted lenses, as I’m usually carrying a 500MM or 600MM lens on the front. I don’t risk them on open water in open boats!

Enjoy your camera, I really like mine!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA :grinning:

Thanks kayakmedic!

I minored in photography in college (Edward Weston and Ansel Adam’s are idols of mine) and still have my fully mechanical Canon F1 with a variety of lens (which of course are useless for anything else now).

I experimented with a Canon EOS 60D years ago but the controls were confusing and it took forever to click through the menu. I do have a soft housing for the 60D that keeps the camera dry but it works best in fully automatic mode and limits the lens you can use.

I’m looking for something in the $2500 range that will provide HD and 4K video and not need a PhD to use. I know that’s asking a lot for the money, any recommendations? You used to be able to walk into actual camera store and talk with a knowledgeable rep, turn the camera on and play with it. Did I just give my age away?

Cheers,
KayakerBee

Don’t know where you are but there are (albeit rare) camera stores… You really have to feel it. I have a Canon 70 D too. It requires frequent use to remember the controls and actually you have to read the book… There are too many choices.

Following my not infallible advice I got my not weather proof Canon SX70 HS wet in the rain and it quit… I got a Panasonic Lumix z80 but it takes worse shots. Thats what you get for going cheap.

I am using all my 70D lenses on my Canon 6D.

Like paddling its time invested in the thing to get comfortable. I agree there is too much choice in camera control and it can get overwhelming. That is probably why most people pick a brand and stick to it as the controls among models are similar and who wants to relearn all that gobbly gook
I hate the Panasonic… It does 4k video and HDR.

Sounds like my phone.

Again thanks for the info.

There’s probably a camera store in Winchester, VA or Hagerstown, MD or Annapolis if I have to. Did some research today and may spring for a 5D or go mirrorless and do the R7 which is a bit less expensive. I’m such a SLR full frame freak though. Looks like my old 60D EF lens will in fact work with both although the R7 will need an adaptor.

I agree about the Pelican box, too. Best insurance if you don’t want something to get wet!

Cheers,
KayakerBee

I have a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra. I used a waterproof case line this one:

Waterproof Case for Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 6.8" 2021. Galaxy S21 Ultra Case with Built-in Screen Protector, Heavy Duty Shockproof Case for Galaxy S21 Ultra 6.8" 5G 2021 (Black, S21 Ultra) Amazon.com

I secure it to my board with a teather that is anchored to a D-ring on my board. The teather is long enough that I can use my phone and take pictures. The teather I use is actually marketed to be used with power tools, but it works great!

BearTOOLS Tool Lanyard with Single Carabiner and Adjustable Loop End, Standard Length, Maximum Weight Limit 8KG / 17.6lb, Aluminum Screw Lock Carabiner with Shock Cord Stopper, 0921S (1 Pack) Amazon.com

I also bought a Pelican case, barely able to fit my Nikon and Lens. The problem is that it took up the entire cockpit between my legs and I had no room to move my legs while paddling. It was too cumbersome and it now sits empty in my garage.

I have two of the Optio series of rugged underwater waterproof and shockproof cameras that were originally made by Pentax (I have a WG2) and are now a Ricoh product (I have a WG30). Tough as a hockey puck and totally waterproof, even with prolonged immersion, and they are made with an attached short 1" wide webbing strap with a hefty carabiner attached. I clip it to the shoulder strap of my PFD and tuck it under the top of the vest – easy to grab and pull up while still tethered to take a shot but impossible to lose. Small enough to fit in any PFD pocket as well. I once realized I had left it clipped to a livery PFD when we rented from an outfitter on Lake Tahoe and had to go back the next day to dig through their vest barn to find it, the camera having survived the guide hosing off a pile of them.

There are drawbacks to the model – it EATS battery power so I always carry rechargedspares (matchbook size) and it take a couple of seconds to power up – I have yet to figure out how to bypass its habit of displaying a menu and then an old stored photo and requiring 3 button clicks to prep for a shot. Probably something I could overcome if I took the time to read the dauntingly encyclopedic owner’s manual.

I have also left both these cameras clipped to my deck lines during extended outings. Since I use a GP they are constantly soaked and have never suffered. One time I capsized my SOF without full float bags and just swam it inverted to shore – the WG2 hung in the water for the whole operation and was unaffected by the rough immersion. I have also dropped these cameras onto pavement from several feet elevation without having them indicate any damage or electronic distress.

Definitely not the fine image quality of your high end DSLRs, but if you want a camera you never have to worry about dousing, dropping or losing, these are great. If I was going to give a kid a camera, this would be the one.

Pentax WG2

I have and use the wrist strap and have a floaty put on it so if I drop it, it will stay at the waters service.

One of our paddlers, who is a serious photog, has modified a pelican case to attach to the deck lines in front of the cockpit. It keeps access pretty quick and keeps the expensive equipment dry as long as you don’t have drippy hands.

Cheers,
KayakerBee

A year ago I tipped my canoe at the launch while I was getting in. I had my camera in my hand and it went in the water briefly. It was not working after that. I put it in my drybag and continued on my day trip for a few hours. When I got home I put it in a rubbermaid container that was filled with rice and some small silica packets. It took about 2 weeks and it started to show some life. I replaced the battery and today it works fine. When I get in my canoe now I leave the camera in the drybag until I am sitting in the canoe, then I take it out and put the strap around my neck. When i am finished canoeing I put the camera back in the drybag before getting out. I am very aware of loosing my camera in the water. A phone is a different story. I have one with me but its in the drybag in a ziplock bag. There is no way to secure and protect a phone if using while paddling. Get a camera with a strap.

1 Like