Photos of a Wonderful Forest River Paddle

@yatipope said:…that the people are responsible to provide and maintain.

That right there is the crux of the problem, IMO. Yes - a cultural change is what it will take. People being personally responsible is not the current world trend.

So willowleaf posted this idea and link on the “last straw post”, and I added a bit to it.

https://inhabitat.com/heineken-wobo-the-brick-that-holds-beer/

Perhaps a photo resistant sturdy plastic that would snap together or slide into place to lock on all edges so they could make thin or thick walled structures. It would be a great way to provide drinking water/food containers, and insure a steady supply of building material rather than trash. They could even be filled with dirt if need be like sand bags. Some could be clear to let in light and some could be different colors or block sun light. They would have an intrinsic value, and could possibly be used to barter for goods. I can see an immediate use in disaster relief efforts.

@Andy said:
To TomL’s golf ball comments please read this https://www.hakaimagazine.com/features/off-the-green-and-into-the-blue/

I get really disgusted at the amount of trash in rivers and along roads. Most of it was negligently tossed there by slobs.

Thanks for the link Andy. I think they spent a billion dollars to build the local golf course so it strikes me that apparently no money was allocated for river maintenance. I can only see golf balls that are near the edge of the river and even those quickly sink into the mucky bottom. It breaks my heart to think about how long golf balls will last without breaking down but after reading your article and this thread it seems that the microscopic pieces of eroded plastic are even more evil. Yuck.

@TomL said:

@Andy said:
To TomL’s golf ball comments please read this https://www.hakaimagazine.com/features/off-the-green-and-into-the-blue/

I get really disgusted at the amount of trash in rivers and along roads. Most of it was negligently tossed there by slobs.

Thanks for the link Andy. I think they spent a billion dollars to build the local golf course so it strikes me that apparently no money was allocated for river maintenance. I can only see golf balls that are near the edge of the river and even those quickly sink into the mucky bottom. It breaks my heart to think about how long golf balls will last without breaking down but after reading your article and this thread it seems that the microscopic pieces of eroded plastic are even more evil. Yuck.

Tom, try talking to the management about putting up netting to keep the golf balls out of the river. If we don’t who will. It is littering at the very least even if we don’t get to see the majority of it buried in the mud or deep water. Maybe take a copy of the golf ball article with you. Perhaps make the pitch they can use what they do in their advertising as an environmentally friendly golf course. Everything we do helps. Just a suggestion. If you do I would love to hear their response.

You can always say it will stop you from throwing golf balls you find at the golfers!! Just kidding!

I plan on doing this type of thing from now on when I see something that needs to be changed. It isn’t something I have done in the past, but given the lack of awareness, and magnitude of the problems caused by so much plastic I am feeling compelled to do something about it. This wheel is going to squeak!