Pick me the best paddle

I think it is insane to say the that the price of the paddle should be some certain proportion of the price of the boat. To me, the paddle is much more important than the kayak.

I can paddle any rental kayak from hell and enjoy the trip, as long as I have one of my own paddles. Last year on a holiday, I rented a huge plastic bathtub, I think 70 cm (28") wide and 450 litres of volume. In this kayak, I did a circumnavigation of a small island as a day trip, 44 km in total. This was a fantastic trip which I enjoyed all the way, because I had brought my own paddle with me on the airplane.

I have also tried paddling with a rental paddle from hell. That really ruined the trip for me and no kayak would ever be able to make up for that.

The planned length of 230 cm worries me a bit. Of course 25" is quite wide, so a slightly longer paddle may be needed, but still 230 sounds very long, and it will probably cause the paddle stroke to be less than optimal. I am 183 cm (6"), and I paddle with a 210 cm paddle and am thinking of replacing it with a 205 cm.

In the beginning, we didn’t have much disposable income. I only had my 12’ Acadia and a cheap paddle. After the final kid left home, the budget got a bit more relaxed so I bought a CF paddle, because after years of scrimping, I deserved it! I have never regretted that purchase. Still have the paddle.
My next CF paddle is adjustable and I have used it in wide and skinny boats.

@Andy_Szymczak said:
I wouldn’t spend $300 for a paddle on a 12 foot boat,

I would, if the paddle improved my paddling experience.

I enjoyed paddling much more when bought properly sized light weight carbon paddles - regardless of the boat.

The video failed to demo the difference between high angle and low angle paddling and some of the subtle variables to experiment with on your way to finding the style that works best for you.

And then there are wings and sticks.

I’m hoping I have enough patience to hold off on buying something before I have the opportunity to actually try some paddles out.
@ Olesen: I agree about the size… I have been toying between a 220-230, and there are not a lot of paddles that I’ve been looking at that are adjustable in length, most are one size. Every size chart out there seems to tell me 230… but the more I read, the more people state how they start long… go shorter and shorter over time.
As I’m in southern Ontario, it’s a little cold right now, not much of a chance to get out for a few months… but the sales will start in March/April. Doing my homework before then.

I use a 225cm paddle in my 29" to 30" wide solo canoes.

I use a 215cm paddle in my kayaks up to 25" wide. 205cm in my 23" wide or narrower kayaks.

My height , shoulder width, and long arms allow me to use shorter paddles.
Like Yanoer, I use a 225 in my wide boat and a 215 in the more narrow one.
I started with a 240, went to a 230 , and then shorter. I have shortened my 2 CF paddles as I have paddled more.
You do not want a paddle that is too short or it’s beat up knuckles. IMO, it is better to start a bit long. A few extra centimeters won’t ruin your paddling .

What ever one you decide on just make sure it is light weight., and don’t be afraid of carbon fiber.
I have several super light weight ones, and I don’t know how many times I thought I would end up breaking one, and yet they never do.
A light weight one will make an all day paddle a enjoyable ,while you’ll end up tiring out with a heavy one.

Jack L

@JackL thanks, I totally agree.
@Yanoer & @String, how tall are you guys?

My other issue I seem to be fighting with… high bs low style paddle. There will be times I want to power down and go, there will be times I’ll want to sit back and slow paddle… I’m 6’1”, 210. Is there a good “middle ground” paddle that’s a mix of both styles?

@Photecs said:

My other issue I seem to be fighting with… high bs low style paddle. There will be times I want to power down and go, there will be times I’ll want to sit back and slow paddle… I’m 6’1”, 210. Is there a good “middle ground” paddle that’s a mix of both styles?

I’m 6’2", 225 lbs, muscular build. I started out with the 230 that came with my first boat, which has a 23" beam. It was way too long. I shortened it myself to 215, then broke it attempting a new self-rescue technique. I then ordered both a replacement shaft for that paddle, plus another paddle of the same type. Both were 215.

One of my paddles is a Nimbus Kiska with carbon fibre shaft and fibreglass blades. The other is also a Numbus Kiska with the same shaft but Carbon/Basalt blades. They both weigh very similarly, despite the carbon/basalt supposedly being lighter.

Check out Nimbus paddles from BC. Small Canadian company, decent product, good prices. It’s perhaps been a few years now, but I was able to speak directly to the owner for a while when I called. Nice chat.

Your problem in selecting a paddle is that you don’t have enough experience with … well, anything. That’s quite normal, and there’s nothing you can do about it except what you’re doing. You’re trying to pull from other people’s experiences in lieu of having your own. But eventually (sooner, rather than later) you’re going to have to make some difficult decisions on what to get. Your decision will probably be pretty good, but you need to embrace the fact that your decision can NEVER be absolutely guaranteed to be the best. A well educated decision is the BEST you can ask for. In all likelihood you’re going to be “tickled pink” with your new purchase because it’s so much better than what you’re using. If you find that after a while there are better things out there that you can afford and would like to have, then go for it. That’s life. Don’t be a victim of “paralysis by over-analysis”.

As for high vs. low angle, I’m guessing that unless you’re planning to spend most of your time “lilly-dipping”, a high angle paddle - or something closer to high angle will probably suit you better, at least in the short term. Both types can be used for both styles, but the matter of efficiency comes into play due to how much of the paddle is in the water and when. I think far too much attention is given to this BS of high vs. low angle paddling, quite frankly. I don’t even know whether my Nimbus Kiska is high or low angle, nor do I really care. I do know that it has suited me very well, despite my coming by it completely by accident

I also use a Greenland Paddle at least 50% of the time. I like it in the winter when I have to punch through some ice to get where I want to go. :smile:

@Sparky961 , great advice, and thanks for the detailed response.
I agree, I’m going off of “no experience”, as I’ve spent all of one summer in a kayak. Loved it so much, I’m upgrading everything and plan on doing quite a bit this summer.

TBH, my el cheapo freebie 218 cm paddle did me just fine. I was out for up to 4 hours one time, 2-3 hours most of the time when I went out for a paddle. My shoulders were getting a little sore, but that’s also due to me being new, probably poor form, and pushing a 30” wide kayak.
As you mentioned, anything in the $130+ range I spend on a paddle will be a significant upgrade for sure.
I’ve had my eye on the Aqua-Bound Sting Ray, but just watched a video on the AB whisky, which I’m assuming the manta Ray would be similar… for a more “high angle/power” paddle. I think I might be wanting the bigger paddle surface for maneuvering in slow moving rivers, and for getting up and moving in a lake on a windy day.
I’ll check out the nimbus paddles, I think I came across them once recently during a search.

Thanks… keep the replies coming! Love the tips.

For touring longer distances, a smaller paddle is desirable for energy conservation and reduce the stress on your shoulders. Larger surface area will give you better acceleration and ability to maneuver, but at a cost of greater energy expended and higher chance of injury (arguable, but physics would agree with me).

You won’t find a paddle that’s perfect for everything. But there are lots that are suitable for many things. When you find yourself specializing in a certain type of paddling, that’s when you get gear that’s specialized. Until then, the middle ground is the place to travel.

@Photecs said:
I’m 6’5".

@Sparky961 said:
For touring longer distances, a smaller paddle is desirable for energy conservation and reduce the stress on your shoulders. Larger surface area will give you better acceleration and ability to maneuver, but at a cost of greater energy expended and higher chance of injury (arguable, but physics would agree with me).

You won’t find a paddle that’s perfect for everything. But there are lots that are suitable for many things. When you find yourself specializing in a certain type of paddling, that’s when you get gear that’s specialized. Until then, the middle ground is the place to travel.

For example, I have been specialized by an old shoulder injury. I now use a wind paddle with thin blades to keep the stress out of that shoulder. My grandson loves my wider power blade.

I spent years trying to find the technique that I thought worked best for me and along the way I tried a bunch of different paddles. Finally, I started to realize that there are little differences that make a big difference in my endurance in the way that I paddle. Most of my paddling is long distance at a brisk pace.
This is going to be contrary to what most probably think is “the right way.” I settled on a lower angle and here’s why. At a low angle, you can extend your stroke a couple of inches past your hips and not be lifting water. The extended stroke takes advantage of your core rotation and in an all day paddle, probably reduces the number of strokes by a significant number. Also lowering my angle means less effort used in holding my arms up.
I’m 6’-2" and my sea kayaks are around 23 to 24 inches wide. Most of my paddles are 230 cm.
I could probably drop that to 225cm, but that seems to be an odd length for some manufacturers. Anyway, I’ve become very used to the little extra length for bracing and some other maneuvers.

When a sprint is called for, I do go high angle and the longer paddle doesn’t seem to be a problem. In addition, the longer paddle does allow a little bit more paddle shifting to counter crosswinds and currents and to compensate for non-symmetric effort. My right side push seems to be a bit stronger than the left. I’m working on that.

Be careful with the large blade. Not just because of injuries, but also because it can slow you down!

The large blade can be more difficult to get to “bite” in the water. At least that was my experience when I went from a Werner Shuna to a Werner Ikelos. The larger blade of the Ikelos would slip too much in the water all the time. It took me more than a year to improve my technique and strength enough to get the same bite as I had with the Shuna.

There is a rather famous video with a rather famous kayaker, Ivan Lawler, where he practices forward paddling technique with members of an English kayak club. At some point in the video, he says: “When a paddler comes to me and asks for a larger paddle because they want more bite, I give them a smaller paddle.”

Speaking of larger blades (more specifically the surface area and/or long lever mechanical disadvantage), your paddling cadence is noticeably lower with any blade that has more resistance in the water.

Compare it to trying to ride a bike in top gear versus bottom gear. In the former case the pedals rotate slowly and you put a ton of power into it, wearing yourself out quickly. But in the latter case you’ll be pedaling faster but with minimal effort. If you pace yourself (and have trained your body) you could keep this going almost indefinitely. It’s about matching the man (or woman) to the machine. There’s a happy balance for any body and situation.

I have read all of the comments. Very good ones too. Maybe an answer from a man means more. I am a 5’5" female. But I have a lot of kayaks from my 10’ WS Aspire river boat, my Tsunami 135 touring kayak, to my 16.5’ Scorpio Sea Kayak, and several in between. My favorite paddle to use is the Werner Kalliste ($400) because of it’s light weight. I also have a Werner Camano ($275) for times when I don’t know if I will be knocking my paddle on rocks or river bottom, but still a decently lightweight paddle. My first paddle, and one I still use frequently for rivers or carry as a spare, is the Werner Skagit ($130). It’s heavier, but still much better than a livery paddle. My paddles are 220 cm and work fine for all of my boats. I just thought you might want to consider Werner. :slight_smile:

@Catfish228: For sure… by what I’ve read, I’d love to get the Werner Camano. I’d go with the Fiberglass blades, not full carbon due to the fact that when going down a nearby river, I may hit some rocks from time to time, or at least will be pushing off of the banks…
In canada, I’m looking at around $405 after tax… and I can’t even find one to hold in my hand yet… hoping to get my hands one a few paddles at the Outdoor Adventure show in Toronto at the end of Feb, they have a huge section dedicated to paddlers.
So far, I think i’m leaning towards the Aqua-Bound Sting Ray Carbon as it’s tough, easy on the wallet and can take some hits on the blades.

I’m trying to get an idea on the H2O paddles too… just doesn’t seem to be hardly any info out there… smaller company based out of Toronto.
I appreciate your input!

I’m 5’6". Sorry for the late reply.