Pimp My Camping & Paddle Trailer

Storage box
To save more money look around for used tool boxes like go across the bed of trucks. If the locks are missing or broken just mount a hasp and padlock. A couple of cans of cheep spray paint and your in bussiness. If you bolt them to the bed using carriage bolts with the nuts to the inside it prevents theft.

Ditto on carriage bolts

– Last Updated: Jul-11-07 4:53 PM EST –

Yep, the rounded off flat headed carriage bolts out with the washers and nuts in...shouldn't be anyway to remove it from the outside.

I've got a heavy duty ABS plastic (as best I can tell) storage box that's general purpose and not necessarily meant as a truck box. It's roughly 2' x 2' x 3.5" with a built in lock and 2 additional spots where one might add padlocks. I bought it at Lowe's brand new for $50. Right now I use it in my garage to store my camping equipment. Sometimes I put it in the back of my truck when hauling extra stuff in bad weather. I'm thinking about adding it to my recently acquired trailer...it's 5' x 8' with 13" wheels, 16" high mesh sides and a ramp.

Pierced Tongue!
I studied the 4 x 6 trailer with three foot tongue and my 17 ft 6 inch kayak sat legth. The tongue extention will need to be about 2-3 feet, and I will add angle brackets. Downside? Does fit in the garage. Any tongue ideas? Thx.

Post some pics?
If you could post some pics of your new trailer at Webshots (or whatever) perhaps some of us could help you more with the conversion into a boat hauler. Extending the tongue for use as a canoe/kayak trailer can be done various ways, but it does depend on how the trailer is built to begin with. Some trailers have a “single tree” type tongue others have an “A-frame” - a photo or two would help us picture what you’re up against. Just an idea… - Randall

Breakaway tongue?
I know the tongue on my trailer is only attached to the main body with 2 bolts (granted, they are 2 BIG bolts). If yours is attached similarly, could you just disconnect it and fold it under the bed when not in use? I was watching some of the online videos for those “specialty” trailers…they have a breakaway tongue that quickly disconnects with some snap pins. I want to say one of the models actually telescopes out and then back in when not in use.

Stick out your tongue!
My latest canoe trailer (just finished it) began life as a cheap 5’ X 8’ utility trailer (about $600) with a “single tree” tongue. It had a removable tongue held in place with two 1/2” bolts (this is done for shipping purposes). I actually selected that trailer because it was so easy to replace the short factory tongue with a appropriately sized tongue. I extended the tongue with an eight foot long 2” X 3” steel box channel (1/8” thick) which I drilled out to fit the original bolts/nuts and angle irons under the floor of the trailer. I later welded this in place permanently (I wouldn’t trust a couple of nuts as critical fasteners). The long hollow tongue was a good place to chase the wiring, but of course I had to extend the wiring harness as well. I added two more pieces of steel box channel (2” X 2”) diagonally on either side of the extended tongue to complete the A-frame assembly. That was all welded of course. As soon as I get around to up loading all the “beginning to end” pics at Webshots I’ll post a link – probably on a new thread. - Randall

arkay, your trailer sounds like mine.
I’d be very interested to see your pics, and will try to get a couple of minwe when I have a moment. But your tongue situation sounds very similar. I still however have the getting it in the gareg problem(and neighborhood covenants do not allow me to keep it in the yard). I need some form of telescoping or folding or swing tongue.

stick out your tongue
I think with some minor engineering, you can fabricate a tongue extension that is held in place with heavy pins - slipping right over the existing tongue. Remove the pins and then the extension can come off or telescope over the existing. Will depend on the overall design of the tounge, but I’m sure it can be done.

If all else fails, have your folks drive it out to New Jersey - I’m sure your bro’ can use it.